iMac G5 Popping Noises

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel
We have an iMac G5 20 inch in the studio and it's started making some odd noises. On start up there is a popping noise, like pop rocks. Once it finishes starting the popping occasionally continues, sometimes when not doing anything or running any applications. I noticed that if I zap the PRAM, the noise doesn't happen as much. When we try and sync our iPhone with iTunes, the popping really gets going, Pop Rocks on Speed, and then usually the sync freezes. Then when we re-start the machine is popping again. I thought it might be the battery, but the tell-tale signs of the time and calendar being inaccurate isn't there. I also thought it might be a power surge or problem with the power supply. Also, if we mute the sound, the popping still continues and it definately sounds like it's coming from the bottom part of the iMac. I hope this helps.Any thoughts before we bring it to the Genius' and they have a hard time (possibly) diagnosing the problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Agreed Nick, most likely the power supply.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Popping noises in switching power supplies is usually a tell tale sign of failing electrolytic capacitors. Have heard that sound many times and when those electrolytic caps blow, it ain't pretty! :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have heard that sound many times and when those electrolytic caps blow, it ain't pretty! :p

They can be "STINKY" when they blow as well!;)

- Nick

OP
dogboy443
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel
Thanks fellas, looks like the agreement is power supply. I also thought so, but I appreciated all of your input. Time to tear it down and put in a new one.

C

chas_m

The iMac G5 was very prone to this issue as it ages. I'm in agreement with my colleagues that this is the likely issue. Make sure your backups are up to date!

OP
dogboy443
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel
Not so Genius

Hi, we took our popping G5 iMac to the Genius Bar so they could give us a free diagnostic. Once there, after we registered on-line, we were told they couldn't test the iMac because it was too old, however if they saw this on the appointment ticket, don't you think they would have called us and told us not to bother coming in? Also, their off-the-cuff opinion was that it wasn't the power supply, but the speakers acting up. They suggested we open the back of the machine and disconnect the speakers and see what happens, however the popping noises aren't effected by any volume changes we make so how can it be the speakers??? We're going to look at the speakers, and still order a power supply. Not thrilled with our local Genius'.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The lack of response by the genius bar is likely because they have no experience working with older Macs. Take our word for it and replace the power supply. The speakers are not very likely to cause that popping sound.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely agree with chscag. Most folks can tell the difference between the "static-like" popping that can come from speakers...and "other" popping...which is almost 99% the power supply.

Popping in a computer wouldn't be coming from anything else.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.