Music Production

Reaction score
Hello people.

I have recently acquired a PPC G5. I have a single core 1.8GHz with 728mb of ram (soon to be 2GB). I am also running OS X Leopard.

I am looking for a music production program, something simple, straight to the point that is not too complex for a beginner. I used to used Magix on PC before converting to Mac.

Logic Pro and Cubase seem great but also seem very difficult to master. What are my options? Taking into account of running 10.5.8

Any answers would be great!

Many thanks

Jamie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Garage Band is the perfect starting place. Look on Apple's Seminar page and see if there are any local places in your area offering classes. Guitar Center has been doing them for over a year now.

C

chas_m

The problem with Garageband (and every other suggestion) is that flimbo is running a VERY old, VERY underpowered machine by today's standards. I can't think of ANY music software that is still supported that would run on that machine, though of course I don't know every package in the world.

I agree with your suggestion of GB, but he'll have to somehow find an old copy (iLife 2005 or something).

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Hmm, you could also try Reaper -

REAPER | Download

its shareware, but its got support for tiger upwards. Not as easy to use as GB but its got a good featurelist.

Reaction score
What about Cubase

Hi there,

maybe you can try to find an older Cubase version. But it's as complex as logic studio is. To my mind it makes sense if you try to learn logic because you'll have the greatest benefit from it when you get deeper into music production!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 PPC Dual 2.0, OSX Leopard 10.5.8
Hi Jamie!

I've been a long time Pro Tools user and would highly recommend it for many reasons:

For starters, it's extremely user friendly and the editing capabilities are second to none. Avid has really done an outstanding job re-vamping their systems so that you can pretty much use any digital interface out there to capture your recording without breaking the bank. You can start out with a inexpensive audio interface and upgrade as you see fit without the need to change your software. In addition, Pro Tools is the industry standard for professional music production and you can easily share your projects with other studios that house more professional systems.

For example, let's say you've recorded your tracks in your home studio, but you feel the need to take your session to another studio for overdubs and/or mixing. You can easily do this without the need to mix down your .wav files for importing into another DAW. I've mixed several projects this way and have even collaborated with musicians from all over the world.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions and Happy Recording!

Reaction score
Or you try...

...the Magix Music Maker....
one of the cheaper ones also.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MBP 15" Iphone4
Why dont you try Audacity??? Its free and easy to use. Plus with you being a beginner at multitrack recording there are a ton of tutorials out there for you to take advantage of. bcmusic412 mentioned Pro-tools, Pro-tools is a wonderful program, But unless your very well trained in audio engineering your going to have a very difficult time using it. Good Luck

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Why dont you try Audacity??? Its free and easy to use. Plus with you being a beginner at multitrack recording there are a ton of tutorials out there for you to take advantage of. bcmusic412 mentioned Pro-tools, Pro-tools is a wonderful program, But unless your very well trained in audio engineering your going to have a very difficult time using it. Good Luck

I would class audacity as more of an audio editor than A fully fledged DAW - doesn't really have much in the way of creative input. Great for chopping up samples and stuff though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.