Twice Failed Logic Board

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just took my 2008 Macbook in to be fixed about a month ago because it wasn't responding at all when I pressed the power button. They determined it was a logic board failure and I had it fixed for the fixed rate ($280 i believe) which came with a 3 month warranty. It was working just fine for the first month after having it repaired (they replaced the logic board), but this morning I went to turn it on and again(!), nothing! Thankfully it is covered under repair warranty, but I am concerned that once I get it repaired, this will happen again right after the warranty ends. Is there anything that would make a logic board fail twice in the span of a month and a half? Could the problem be elsewhere in the laptop? I want to make sure they fix whatever the root issue is so that this won't happen again!

Any help/advice is much appreciated!

P.S. I have kept my MacBook at my apartment the last month and it has not been exposed to any extreme temperatures

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no way to determine how long the repairs which will be made will last or that something else will go wrong. I'm not certain, but I would think the logic board they replaced the old one with was a refurbished board. And it's likely if the board needs replacing again, it will be with another refurbished board.

I also have a 2008 MacBook and if it should ever need a new logic board, I will not repair it. A 2008 MacBook in pristine condition (depending on model) is only worth at the most around $450 to $500. It just isn't worth it (to me) to pour money into a machine that old. I realize some folks can't afford to buy a new one so it could be a tough choice.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.