MacBook 2007 1.83GHZ shuts down when moved

Reaction score
Hello peeps. McNoob here on my first post

My MacBook 2007 1.83GHZ in white previously running on OSX 10.6.8 shuts down & restarts randomly, usually when im holding it in my hand and getting up from a chair.

Ive just completed a fresh install of the retail 10.63 (nothing installed apart from OS) and have not yet proceeded to the 10.6.8 update in hope of rectifying the problem but still have the same problem although not as frequent with the fresh install. Ive got two sticks of 667MHZ DDR2 (2x1GB) Hynix which seem stable enough. The hard drive is a 160GB FUJITSU MHY2160BH which i've partitioned off in two; 150GB Main Drive & 10GB for back up.

The only thing unusual i've noticed is a low level 'pinking' sound from the hard drive every now and now and an intermittent high pitched whining noise which is really quiet and not that noticeable until putting your ear next to the machine.

Any ideas would be warmly received

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Could be many things that are causing the shutdown and restarts:

1. Bad memory

2. Power supply intermittent

3. Overheating (fan not running)

4. Defective logic board

5. Bad hard drive

Shut downs and restarts are one of the most difficult problems to isolate. Once isolated, the repair can be made (if it isn't too costly). You have your work cut out.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply CHSCAG

You've kicked my brain out of sleep mode :)

Although being unfamiliar with the characteristics of these early machines & MacBooks in general (I've just made the PC to Mac switch ...yeah!) I shouldn't have to look 'too' far if these boards are similar architecture in nature to the Iphone & Ipod of which I do have experience with.

The fan does kick-in but a little too often whilst not working the CPU too hard which tells me the board is limping. Memory, if im not mistaken tends to be more frequent and in your face when failing (I do have some spare 667 sticks kicking around which I can try though which will narrow things down further) & no loud/erratic behavior from the hard drive along with shut down problems existing pre-boot, should rule out disk problems.

If there's anyone else who has suffered these problems who can confirm a faulty board & save me from the hassle of stripping the thing down I would be deeply grateful.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.