Macbook Magic

Reaction score
So, earlier today, i went down to my local pawn shop with some cash in my pocket, ready to snag some cool stuff. Well, turns out they happened to have an older Poly-carb macbook on the shelf. I ended up picking it up for 300, but it has an issue. It seems as though the previous owner deleted the /var folder on the HD, rendering it essentially useless. Hardware wise the laptop is fine, i'm installing ubuntu on it now. But, what i need to know is how to make a bootable .iso out of the DMG. I got the DMG from my friend, from when he made a backup of his, but he was lacking in dual layer DVDs. I scooped a pack up on my way home, and am still waiting to burn them up. I'm working with a windows machine for now, so pleeeeeeaaaaaaaaase don't tell me i need a mac to do this. I know it would make things EASIER, but there has *got* to be a way to do it otherwise. maybe a linux solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Unless your friend also has the same Mac as yours, I don't think it will boot from the DMG. If your MacBook has an Intel processor, and at least 1gig of RAM your best bet is probably buying a retail copy of Snow Leopard, or a Lion thumb drive.

OP
X
Reaction score
Yea, it already has two gigs and a core 2 duo. I already looked at buying a retail copy, but they're selling on ebay more than when they were brand new. :/

Oh well. The ubuntu installation i mentioned earlier didn't work, either. So now i have a really pretty macbook, an no pretty OS X to go on it. Maximum sadface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can get Snow Leopard online at the Apple Store for $30.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still won't do me much good if i don't have a mac to work with.

What? Snow Leopard will install on the MacBook you just purchased.

OP
X
Reaction score
What? Snow Leopard will install on the MacBook you just purchased.

I don't live next door to an apple store, though, which would make purchasing options over the app store, though, which still requires a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't live next door to an apple store, though, which would make purchasing options over the app store, though, which still requires a mac.

You have web access. Go to the online Apple Store (online as internet) and order Snow Leopard and have it shipped to your door. No need to even leave the house.

OP
X
Reaction score
Welp, i got a hold of a retail copy os 10.6.3 and just updated it from there. Got a macbook with 8 gigs of RAM for a whole load of stress and 400 bucks. i feel accomplished c:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.