Cant shut down Lion with mail still running

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.
Hello All,

Can I ask for some troubleshooting advice on a problem i am experiencing on Lion.

When I logout I always ask that when I log back in again it re-opens all my current windows, so I have things like

Itunes
Safari
Mail

All running in full window mode.

When I then logout nothing happens and it closes my mail window but the actual application is still running because I can see mail on the menu bar at the top of the screen

If I try and logout again I am then told that the logout was cancelled due to the application mail and I have to close this down first, problem is when I click on mail the logout is greyed out so I cant actually close it, the only way to then be able to shut down my macbook is to force quit the mail application or I have to close it down first before I attempt to logout.

Hope that makes some sense it's quite annoying so if you have any advice or know what is causing this problem I would be very grateful.

Thanks

OP
mockney
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.
Fixed it, I had to give apple care a call in the end but the chap was very helpful. Basically it all related to some rouge Microsoft application sitting in my start up folder. The guy reckoned it was from where I had previously copied all the information over to my new MacBook Pro from my old Macbook using the migration assistant.

Anyway once I had deleted it from my user account settings I was able to close down the mail application so problem sorted.

Thanks to AppleCare.

OP
mockney
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bloody Bill Gates, I knew it had to be something to do with him :)...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.