How do I transfer photos from my iPhone to my Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm using OS X 10.6.8. I've tried IMAGE CAPTURE, but it only shows photos in the Camera roll and not in the albums on the iPhone that that I'm trying to transfer. I have roughly 2000 pics I want to bring over into iPhoto. Does anybody have any ideas? Thank you.
macrumor.gif

C

chas_m

1. Open iTunes on your computer.
2. Plug in your iPhone.
3. Click "sync."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini ,Mac Air Pro, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I tried to follow this suggestion for my problem and found I didn't know how to "Synch" in iTunes. I just see music. I
'm beginning to think I am a real dummy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
iTunes has changed since the original thread back in 2012. Image Capture is much better. You find that in the Applications folder. Connect your iPhone by cable to the Mac, open Image Capture and in the left column you will see all devices that IC can capture images from (My all in one printer is there, for example, because Image Capture can capture scans). Select your iPhone and in the large window all the images on the phone will appear. It may take a while for the images to be processed and you will need to unlock the iPhone if it has a security code set. Once the images start to show they should be in a long list with a thumbnail of the image. To change to all thumbnails, there is a little icon on the bottom of the window with four squares. Click that and thumbnails in a grid will appear. Beside that is a set of four horizontal lines to click if you want the list back. At the bottom of the window is a box labeled "Import to:" and beside it the default for where these pictures will go. Use the up/down carets to select where you want the images to be saved on the Mac, then click each image you want to import. If you want to import all, you can click "Select All" in the Edit dropdown on the top bar of the screen, or you can click on the first one you want, scroll to the last one, hold Shift and click on the last and all between will be selected. The selected ones will be highlighted in Blue on the list or with a grey surround in the grid view. Once you have them deleted, click the "Import" box on the lower right. If you just want all of them, you can skip the highlighting and click "Import All" and everything will be brought over. It can take some time, so let it run. You can use Finder to go to the location you are importing them into and watch them arrive, if you want. I generally just go get a cup of tea.

As I said, iTunes has been changed, and I think it no longer handles images. I really don't know because I quit using it when Apple removed support for apps from iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The big problem I think is that even tho I have the proper cable for my cellphone and connect to a viable USB port my device does not register on my computer on any of the sites I have tried including Image Capture. I give up. The only thing I have not ried is restarting my computer which I am about to do now. Thank you
I see airplanes in your picture. I am WW II vintage and have owned 8 airplanes. 2 Navions, 4 Twin Bonanzas, a Baron and a Cessna 310.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those are A-6 Intruders. I was a Bombardier/Navigator in them for 20 years.

I had assumed you had an iPhone, but re-reading, I don't see that you identified the brand. Image capture should see just about any, but what is your phone?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi rmill777, and welcome to our Forums.

As Jake has mentioned, things have moved on a lot over the years. Not just iTunes, but macOS. Your Mac running 10.6.8 is 7 versions behind the current.

Snow Leopard was and is a very robust OS, but is almost certainly not up to modern cameras or iPhones. I know this first hand as I gave my iMac to a dear friend who just can't cope with a newer OS and, like you, runs 10.6.8.

His much newer iPhone is not recognised at all (iTunes or Image Capture) and a recent camera purchase can be recognised via Image Capture only - and it takes a while to respond.

You are stuck with iPhoto - no bad medium - but Photos app replaced that some years ago.

So, with no offence intended, your Mac's Operating System is the problem. Sad, but inevitable these days, digital software moves on ever so fast. 10.6.8 has long been abandoned by Apple as regards support and security.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My phone is an LG VX5500. I only have this one USB connecting cable to connect my phone and that is the only thing I haven't changed out. Image Capture should pick up a connected device and iTunes doesn't pick up a device so something is wrong with my connectivity. I've spent too much effort on this and don't see a solution unless the LG VX5500 is not capable of connecting. I will just give up using my phone as a camera and use one that works. Thanks

My operating system is 10.13.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
My phone is an LG VX5500. I only have this one USB connecting cable to connect my phone and that is the only thing I haven't changed out. Image Capture should pick up a connected device and iTunes doesn't pick up a device so something is wrong with my connectivity. I've spent too much effort on this and don't see a solution unless the LG VX5500 is not capable of connecting. I will just give up using my phone as a camera and use one that works. Thanks

My operating system is 10.13.2

Ooops. My sincere apologies, rmill777. I read the thread from the beginning and completely failed to notice that it was from 2012 and from someone else. I didn't realise you had tagged on to a near 6 year old post.

So, of course, my comments were superfluous.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have given up and will use my Canon camera which WORKS. This is not my day. I have just finished unconnecting my HPw2207 monitor from my Mac laptop. I have been working for days trying to make it work. Have bought HDMI to VGA connectors. Finally got it to light up but everything works crazy. This monitor was built for Windows and WILL not work on a Mac. I wish that would jump out at me when I bought it for use on a Mac. It works great on my old Windows XP computer and my old broken TV works great on my Mac laptop. I'll just have to go with the flow.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Monitors are not built for a specific type of computer, Mac or PC. They are designed to have a set of connectors that are available on both.

Please don't cross multiple topics in a single thread (especially an old one), try to stay on a single-topic and open new threads for other unrelated issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll try to limit my questions to one subject from now on. I am not convinced the HPw2207 will work on my Mac, I have tried dozens of times. Have bought connector adapters. Finally got the screen to light up but monitor would not respond to normal inputs. Had to put dock on left to see it. Changed screen resolution but didn't help. Would access Safari but not Firefox. Would not access Thunderbird. Signal from Mac good on other monitor and works well on old television set screen.
Software available for Windows but not Mac.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I've moved all the monitor related discussion to a new thread here, so please post followups in that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.