• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

stuff has stuffed up...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Well, according to the uk gadget and technoiogy magazine, Stuff, a new word has appeared as a hot topic of technospeak.

Macspense (n)

The extra cost of buying a Mac and then upping the specification so that it runs. While Mac base prices always look reasonable, they invariably need more RAM, Bluetooth and Airport - before you know it, you're spending twice as much as you would on a Windows system. Except that your Mac is more stable and impervious to spyware and many viruses.

To my understanding, I thought that Bluetooth and Airport are all built in now and have been for some time. I think this is somebody's ignorance and inability to read the specs on the current mac range.

Anyway, heres a link to the page where I read this. Hope it makes you chuckle as much as it did me....

http://www.stuffmagazine.co.uk/hotstuffarticle.asp?de_id=758

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does that entire magazine just seem anti-mac...if you skim through the articles...

Q

quanz

smeshy123 said:
Is it just me, or does that entire magazine just seem anti-mac...if you skim through the articles...
the articles are directed towards 16-22 year olds, it is so biased and poorly written, do what I do, buy real magazines.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
I used to subscribe to this magazine before I left the UK for a lengthy trip and they raved about apple then so I dont think that they are against Apple.

In fact they saw the ipod for the machine that everybody on here knows it is and in the top 10 gadget lists, the powerbook was always at No 1 for laptops every month.

I just some tides mist have been turning in the journalism world of Stuff. And yes, I wont be subscribing again now I am back until they can learn to research products properly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
homer_j said:
To my understanding, I thought that Bluetooth and Airport are all built in now and have been for some time.

The cheapest mini doesn't come with it as standard. Maybe that's where they got it from. Even still, bad research if you ask me!

B

Berman

appple has fixed it's base configurations: imac's, ibook's, powerbooks, etc all now come with 512megs of ram. airpoint and bluetooth are now built in to everything. the only thing some systems are lacking is the superdrive - which honestly not all systems need. i need and want it for my 20" imac, but for my ibook? it doesn't need that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Though I completely agree with the sentiments expressed here generally (512MB is enough for most users), but the iMacs, Powermacs & Powerbooks should come with 1GB standard IMO.

HOWEVER:
I was a bit gobsmacked when I saw that the specs for all of the latest Powermacs (between $1999 and $3299):
optional AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (build-to-order option or through an Apple Authorized Service Provider)

These are your very best top of the line machines... why wouldn't you include bluetooth & airport as a standard?

B

Berman

Aptmunich said:
I completely agree with the sentiments expressed here generally (512MB is enough for most users - the iMacs, Powermacs & Powerbooks should come with 1GB standard though IMO).

agreed. i put 2 gigs in my 20" imac and it made a large performance difference. a simpler machine like the ibook doesn't need that though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Aptmunich said:
These are your very best top of the line machines... why wouldn't you include bluetooth & airport as a standard?

I totally agree... The factory base specs on those machines really aren't up to snuff... At least not for over 3Gs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The thing with the Power Macs is, even 1GB-2GB won't be enough for many buyers. Many would rather Apple ship them with no memory, and lower the price by a little, so that they could buy cheaper memory from Crucial or whoever.

For that matter, AirPort isn't necessary for systems which will be used with wired 100BaseT or Gigabit connections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
For that matter, AirPort isn't necessary for systems which will be used with wired 100BaseT or Gigabit connections.

Then make it an opt-out part to drop the price a bit.
I'm sure more people would prefer to have it than those who don't need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Aptmunich said:
Then make it an opt-out part to drop the price a bit.
I'm sure more people would prefer to have it than those who don't need it.
Yeah, I think more opt-out choices would be welcome.

L

lil

Still get amused that these technology magazines still seem to have pictures of nice ladies in suggestive shots and clothing (whatever is left of what they are wearing!) in these technology magazines :flower:

I don't remember Zzap 64 or Your Sinclair resorting to these tactics

Sexy lady suggestively holding a cassette tape and the caption "Pwwwwwwoaar get a load of this Fantasy Land Dizzy"

:flower:

Oh and by the way -- I'm making a jokey remark, not gonna suddenly turn on some rant with you all, not exactly needed so you know don't take this all too seriously :flower:

Vicky

Z

zap2

Berman said:
airpoint and bluetooth are now built in to everything.

Not true, PowerMac does not have it built in(werid becuz it the Pro Model) oor does the low end Mac Mini

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.