Cant access startup manager

Reaction score
Ok...so a week or so ago i spilt water on my Macbook (original, i know). Now my computer screen has no backlight and the keyboard on my macbook doesnt work.

SO: What i need to do is run the Apple Hardware Test. I am running a copy of Lion that i bought from the App store, which means that i need to boot to the Recovery HD. The problem is that I can't access Startup Manager.

I've tried:
1. holding option when i start up (which idt would work considering the keyboard is effed up)
2. holding command + R (ditto above)
3. using an external keyboard and holding down option while starting up
4. using an external keyboard and holding down command + and starting up

I can see my bootcamp partition in the startup disk preferences pane and in the finder...so i know it exists. I even re-installed Lion just to make sure i still had a Recovery HD.

So what the heck am i supposed to do to get to the startup manager so i can run a hardware test???? Ive searched far and wide for another way to get there but im not sure if it exists...if so then idk if there's any other way to run a hardware test to see exactly whats broke on my machine. I know its a couple things, but its 650 to send it in for repairs and id rather see if it might be a less expensive repair than that.

So what do yall think?
Is my computer bypassing the startup manager for some reason?
My external keyboard is apple-made, but its kinda old and maybe its not connecting to my mac in time?
If anyone knows a solution it's someone in these forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.