The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook, what do I do now?" Thread

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
to open and try and clean or to not open and try to clean. that is the question.

Sounds like so far you have been EXTREMELY lucky...considering the amount of liquid that was spilled. I'm not sure if you have moved the computer since you had the spill...but what I would avoid like the plague...is DON"T MOVE THE COMPUTER!!!

Some of the liquid may have pooled up in areas...and if you move the computer...that pooled liquid will move...then possibly come in contact with something that will then make your computer DOA. I would leave the computer where it is...and let the liquid evaporate as much as possible...until is seems safe to move it to open it up & inspect/clean.

And if by "IPA" you mean "India Pale Ale"...YUCK...what a messy thing to spill on a laptop!

How long this takes is difficult to say.

- Nick

Reaction score
Sounds like so far you have been EXTREMELY lucky...considering the amount of liquid that was spilled. I'm not sure if you have moved the computer since you had the spill...but what I would avoid like the plague...is DON"T MOVE THE COMPUTER!!!

Some of the liquid may have pooled up in areas...and if you move the computer...that pooled liquid will move...then possibly come in contact with something that will then make your computer DOA. I would leave the computer where it is...and let the liquid evaporate as much as possible...until is seems safe to move it to open it up & inspect/clean.

And if by "IPA" you mean "India Pale Ale"...YUCK...what a messy thing to spill on a laptop!

How long this takes is difficult to say.

- Nick
Great, will not move! and yes, india pale ale. Lagunitas IPA. it's the best.

But the core of my problem is thinking rationally about the likelihood that I could reverse the issues of my keyboard. Right now, there are a few keys that don't respond (this seems likely that I could fix them if I cleaned out the area beneath).

But what about the few keys that throw odd combinations of characters? My enter key responds with a "\p0" each time I press it. This seems to me like less of a 'clean out the key' issue, and more of a short circuit on the board (which I am assuming is irreversible)??

again, should I go to the effort to open my computer, take apart the keyboard and try and get all the beer out of it, or does the current behavior signal that I fried a few circuits and they can't be fixed (without replacing the entire keyboard).

THANK YOU!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But the core of my problem is thinking rationally about the likelihood that I could reverse the issues of my keyboard.

Considering the mount of the spill (and if you read thru this thread)...you should consider yourself VERY lucky so far! The "core issue" could have been a completely dead laptop!:(

This seems to me like less of a 'clean out the key' issue, and more of a short circuit on the board (which I am assuming is irreversible)??

Anything is possible. But you really haven't exhausted all options yet.

again, should I go to the effort to open my computer, take apart the keyboard and try and get all the beer out of it, or does the current behavior signal that I fried a few circuits and they can't be fixed (without replacing the entire keyboard).

Sounds like you're ready to "throw the baby out with the bath water". If someone else (after a liquid spill) had a completely dead laptop I could understand this statement.

If you want to take the "negative road" and consider this laptop a "100% goner" that's up to you. But I think that you still have some options to explore before calling it quits.

- Nick

Reaction score
Considering the mount of the spill (and if you read thru this thread)...you should consider yourself VERY lucky so far! The "core issue" could have been a completely dead laptop!:(

Anything is possible. But you really haven't exhausted all options yet.

Sounds like you're ready to "throw the baby out with the bath water". If someone else (after a liquid spill) had a completely dead laptop I could understand this statement.

If you want to take the "negative road" and consider this laptop a "100% goner" that's up to you. But I think that you still have some options to explore before calling it quits.

- Nick

this laptop is not being thrown out. not one drop of bath water will go. i'm using it quite fine with a usb keyboard, and i'm grateful for that. I'm only posting on this site to find out if anyone might have an answer to a question:

if keys are malfunctioning, not working, throwing strange combos of characters, is it worth the headache of taking my laptop apart, removing all the keys, and cleaning out the keyboard, in hopes of the keys working like they used to. My thought is that if the keys are throwing such strange errors, that the circuits / electrical contacts are corrupted beyond repair. just curious if this logic makes sense. that's all.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm using it quite fine with a usb keyboard, and i'm grateful for that.

I'm glad you mentioned this.:) If you're using an external keyboard...are you still getting the strange characters? If so...then it's probably not the laptops keyboard that's the problem (directly)...but something on the logic board.

if keys are malfunctioning, not working, throwing strange combos of characters, is it worth the headache of taking my laptop apart, removing all the keys, and cleaning out the keyboard, in hopes of the keys working like they used to.

Of course it's worth it:)...that's what I've been trying to say. Wouldn't you want to exhaust all options before "throwing in the towel"?;)

My thought is that if the keys are throwing such strange errors, that the circuits / electrical contacts are corrupted beyond repair. just curious if this logic makes sense. that's all.

As I mentioned above..if you're using an external keyboard (and still getting the strange characters)...then the problem is probably not the laptop keyboard...but something else. The cable/connector from the keyboard to the logic board...or something on the logic board.

But you won't know any of this unless the computer is opened up & examined/cleaned. And I would say don't do this until you think that everything has dried up/evaporated.

- Nick

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ok, my turn to ask for advice.....

I spilled 1/4 of an IPA onto my macbook pro keyboard. Let it sit overnight. Next day, I booted it up, and all was great. Except for 4 keys, including the enter key.

when I type "6", I get "\p"

when I type "y", I get "Y"

and about three other very oddly-behaving keys.

Can I open the computer, and clean these keys and get a fix? or is this a short in the board or keyboard electronics that cannot be fixed?

I want to say the motherboard is just fine, because when I use a USB external keyboard, the computer works PERFECT.

thanks for the advice.

to open and try and clean or to not open and try to clean. that is the question.

The contacts that the key domes actually short are likely damaged or corroded. Repairing them will require a disassembly of the keyboard itself and repair of those contacts. Trying to open it will most likely break it (I wouldn't be surprised if it was glued together). I'd look for a replacement and swap it out entirely.

Reaction score
I'm glad you mentioned this.:) If you're using an external keyboard...are you still getting the strange characters? If so...then it's probably not the laptops keyboard that's the problem (directly)...but something on the logic board.

Of course it's worth it:)...that's what I've been trying to say. Wouldn't you want to exhaust all options before "throwing in the towel"?;)

As I mentioned above..if you're using an external keyboard (and still getting the strange characters)...then the problem is probably not the laptop keyboard...but something else. The cable/connector from the keyboard to the logic board...or something on the logic board.

But you won't know any of this unless the computer is opened up & examined/cleaned. And I would say don't do this until you think that everything has dried up/evaporated.

- Nick
I only get the strange characters with the laptop keyboard which was spilled on. The external usb keyboard works flawlessly. So i'm very lucky.

My next thought is to take apart the laptop and try and remove the beer residue, clean under each key and contact. but i'm wondering how involved that job is, and if it is likely to fix the strange characters or not. anyone have experience with success in this department?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My next thought is to take apart the laptop and try and remove the beer residue, clean under each key and contact. but i'm wondering how involved that job is, and if it is likely to fix the strange characters or not. anyone have experience with success in this department?

You should do that even if you wind up replacing the entire keyboard assembly. Over time the residue from the spill may cause other damage such as corrosion. Right now your problem is with the keyboard but unless you take preventive measures, it may spread elsewhere. Scan through this entire thread and you'll find lots of responses and questions similar to yours.

Use the ifixit site for take apart instructions: iFixit: The free repair manual

Reaction score
You should do that even if you wind up replacing the entire keyboard assembly. Over time the residue from the spill may cause other damage such as corrosion. Right now your problem is with the keyboard but unless you take preventive measures, it may spread elsewhere. Scan through this entire thread and you'll find lots of responses and questions similar to yours.

Use the ifixit site for take apart instructions: iFixit: The free repair manual
I would like to disassemble my macbook pro unibody keyboard, and clean under ever key. i looked through the thread and didn't see specifics on how to do this step by step. anyone have a link or advice?
thanks

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would like to disassemble my macbook pro unibody keyboard, and clean under ever key. i looked through the thread and didn't see specifics on how to do this step by step. anyone have a link or advice?
thanks

You would have to remove every key cap by hand and you will very likely break one or more in the process - and you still wouldn't get the contacts clean without removing the rubber domes.

My recommendation would be to replace the keyboard. as a unit. They are available on eBay, though not entirely straightforward to replace. There are videos on YouTube, however.

Reaction score
You would have to remove every key cap by hand and you will very likely break one or more in the process - and you still wouldn't get the contacts clean without removing the rubber domes.

My recommendation would be to replace the keyboard. as a unit. They are available on eBay, though not entirely straightforward to replace. There are videos on YouTube, however.
thanks for your direct answer to my question. Much appreciated. I see them on ebay, and they are very inexpensive. seems very doable. thanks again.

Reaction score
Coffee Spill

Hi, I spilled coffee (a full cup) directly on to my keyboard about 24 hours ago. My 15" MBP was open, and on, and charging at the time. I immediately unplugged the charger and turned the machine upside down. I actually left it on, not knowing I was supposed to turn it off. My logic was that leaving it on would help the inside dry quicker. At any rate, nothing bad happened. The computer worked fine. I left it on and upside down for the rest of the day. Last night, I tried to use it and it worked fine. Then, after an hour, the "x" and "." keys did not work. Then, while watching video, a low, thrumming sound began to accompany the audio. At this point, I left it for the evening, still on. This morning, I check the computer and the above-mentioned problems have disappeared. The only issue now is the viewing window is smaller than the screen. I am sure I can fix that in the settings. It looks like I am as lucky as I can be at this point. I am going to the hardware store now to get a tiny screwdriver to take the computer apart and dry and clean it. I know things can corrode as time goes by but my question at this point is what do I clean it with. Can I use that stuff that comes in an aerosol can that you spray on and let drip off? Rubbing alcohol? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
If liquid has other than a few drops spilt onto the keyboard, there is no easy access to clean up as it is part of the top case assembly (presuming it is a unibody model). Days, weeks or even months later it can fail.

You can remove the battery and clean under the trackpad, and remove the logic board to check underneath and clean up if necessary. I use an anti static brush and isopropyl alcohol. If handling the logic board I'd advise using a static dissipative mat and and an ESD wristband.

Good luck, liquid and computers do not agree with each other.

Reaction score
Beer cooked Apple

Hello everyone,

I've done the same mistake: spilled beer on my MacBook Pro. Only difference is mine was a really good belgian beer (Leffe). As long as you screw up, you might as well do it with taste!

But the strangest thing is that it worked fine afterwards. I turned it upside done, shook it, got it rid of all the liquid I could find, and everything went well for like 20 hours or so.

I left it for my lunch break today and when I came back, the screen was black. I thought it was in sleep mode, so I tried to turn it up: nothing.
I thought it was the battery and plugged it. The battery charged (the battery check lights on the side work fine). So I tried to turn it on, but it doesn't work.

Any idea what could've happenned and what I should do?

Thanks for your help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I turned it upside done, shook it, got it rid of all the liquid I could find...

Any idea what could've happenned and what I should do?

What may have happened is...when the computer was turned upside down & shook...the liquid was spread all over the place...and got into every "nook & cranny". Thus greatly increasing the chances of liquid making contact with something energized when the computer was turned back on. It takes very very little liquid to cause an electrical short in a laptop computer...where the distance between 2 transistors, capacitors, resisters, etc...can be fractions of a millimeter.

Also...continuing to use the computer for 20 hours wasn't a very good idea.

Bottom line. For the best chances of a complete recovery. This computer should have been:

- IMMEDIATELY turned off
- opened up
- battery disconnected
- all visible liquid removed
- left to dry for days & days
- battery reconnected
- then with fingers & toes crossed...turn it on

* Nick

Reaction score
Hello,

Earlier this afternoon I spilled a small amount of Coca-Cola on my Macbook Air. The spill was the top half of the track pad and the keyboard around the space bar and keys V, B, N, M, F,G, H. Within a second I flipped the Macbook upside down and all the liquid ran off. I also managed to wipe any residue off and blast it for ten seconds or so with a hairdryer on the cool setting.

When I spilled the liquid the laptop was on and remained on until I switched it off myself. I switched it back on and it was running without a hitch. I popped off most of the keys and noticed that there was no residue liquid.

What should I do now? I have it currently sitting infront of a fan to be sure but as its running normal I don't know how long I should leave it like this. Should I take it into an Apple Store to get checked out? I'm worried that although it seems fine now, it may start having problems further down the track.

Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Turning it back on so soon was not the right thing to do. I know that's the first thing which comes to mind - "does my MacBook Air still work"? Right now there's not much else you can do but keep your fingers crossed and hope that no coke got down on the logic board.

You can take your Air to Apple if you wish and let them take it apart and diagnose any problems that may or may not occur in the future. They won't charge you for any diagnostics they do, but if they have to take the machine apart there will be a labor fee. You also have to understand that a spill is not covered under the warranty or extended Apple care. If you have home owner's insurance, it may be covered. Some policies cover it, some don't.

Reaction score
Turning it back on so soon was not the right thing to do. I know that's the first thing which comes to mind - "does my MacBook Air still work"? Right now there's not much else you can do but keep your fingers crossed and hope that no coke got down on the logic board.

You can take your Air to Apple if you wish and let them take it apart and diagnose any problems that may or may not occur in the future. They won't charge you for any diagnostics they do, but if they have to take the machine apart there will be a labor fee. You also have to understand that a spill is not covered under the warranty or extended Apple care. If you have home owner's insurance, it may be covered. Some policies cover it, some don't.

Thanks for your help man.

I pulled it apart myself today to have a look inside for any visible damage. Everything on the inside seemed pretty good. No visible stains or residue from the coke. I stopped short of removing the logic board (feels a little above my skill set) but I did clean what I could carefully with a q-tip and some isopropyl. Here's hoping when its finished drying off completely it comes together okay!

Here are some pictures of the inside. Anything you think I should be worried about?

H3Hq9fY

nvIctG0

5b7tz3o

ktA2pOo

Reaction score
Hi,

I knocked over a half cup of water on top of my 15" macbook pro retina while it was closed, and in sleep mode. I immediately ran and got a towel, and dried the exterior. I opened it, and the keyboard was dry. I then quickly shut it down, and put it upside down in a pan of rice. I saw that a small amount of water got into the 3 little air vents on the bottom right side of the machine.

My question is, should I leave it upside down in the rice, or turn it right side up? I thought it should be upside down based off of what I read in these forums, but logically, if it were right side up, wouldn't the water drain out?

This computer is brand new, literally like a month old. Please help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.