The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook, what do I do now?" Thread

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Still curious how the tech knew it was liquid damage when the LSI are ok, my son didn't mention the rain when he took it in, and the sheet btw the keyboard and LB would have kept what little water hit it from reaching the board.

This could be debated…but at the end of the day does it really matter.;) YOU KNOW (unfortunately)…liquid got on the computer & the computer is now not functioning properly…thus…the liquid damaged the computer.:(

Maybe the Apple tech saw something that clearly indicates liquid damage (even if the LSI's were not tripped). Apple tech's work with this sort of thing everyday. Let's give them some credit that they know what they're doing.:) Same thing applies to auto-mechanic's, medical doctor's, airline pilot's…or almost any of us in our chosen profession. We know things in our day job that other folks don't know who don't do that job on a daily basis.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Drops of water got in my MacBook today( I honestly don't know where it got into even though I saw some drops of water on the screen and at the edges of the keyboard protector because I have a silicon keyboard protector ) and in my panic and ignorance on the issue, I plugged it in to see if it was still charging while frantically pressing the power button. It came on for like a second, showed the apple sign, was loading and then went off. After some advice from my sister I unplugged it and it's now drying face down infront of a fan. I'm very sad as this is happening a week to finals ?. Is there any hope for me?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there any hope for me?

Please read the previous 22 pages of this thread. Your situation is not unusual as far as a liquid spill & damage to an Apple laptop/notebook computer.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Thanks Nick!

It's my first post here.

2 days ago, my 3 year old son spilt fluid (beer) onto my closed macbook pro. I immediately opened it and wiped the fluid off the screen and keyboard and shut it down. I then googled and came across this thread and read and read and read and then cried!

After reading here I tipped my macbook upside down open overnight.

In the morning instead of worrying anymore I immediately took it to an authorised mac reparier (closer to me than a mac store) I told them what had happened and they informed me it was highly likely fried and no good, explained the same as what was said in here, once corrosion gets happening its a downward spiral and things start to stop work until the whole thing dies.

I wanted to thank admin Nick for all his posts telling people to take it in ASAP to get looked at.

I just got off the phone and luckily for me my laptop is fine. They took it apart, cleaned up under the keyboard and it had barely touched the logic board and the most exciting news is there was no sign of corrosion happening and he thinks this is because of two things ( one it was a small spill) and two I took it in asap so they could pull it part, clean it and dry it out.

Everyything has been tested, nothing is failing but they have said they cant guarentee that it will continue to work, but the no corrosion is a positive sign and the fact it passed all tests is a positive sign too.

He has given me quotes for the future for if it fails, for a new top case and logic board (logic board way too much and not worth replacing).

Their advice now is take it home and use it and see if I notice anything strange as its mine and I am aware of how it worked prior.

So my advice to others is instead of waiting 3-5 or 7 days for it to dry out (and risk corrosion begining) . take it in immediately so they can open it, clean it and dry it out properly.

For those in Melbourne I took mine to compnow in Nottinghill (used to be designwise).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got off the phone and luckily for me my laptop is fine.

A VERY BIG congratulations!:) It's not too often that we get a happy ending to a liquid spill story in this thread. Consider yourself very lucky…and keep those liquids away from your computer (I know that the one's can be very hard to control).;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Please read the previous 22 pages of this thread. Your situation is not unusual as far as a liquid spill & damage to an Apple laptop/notebook computer.

Good luck,

- Nick

UPDATE: My laptop is working perfectly. I am so happy. Liquids and my laptop are definitely not going to be crossing paths again ??

Reaction score
Cat water spill

So my cat spilled a glass of water on my MacBook Air. My first reaction was panic. The computer was low on power and powered off immediately. Then, as I later learned was a bad idea, I tried to power on. It worked a minute then shut down. The power button wouldn't work. I grabbed my iPhone and did a search. Then I found out I should t have powered on. Uh oh.

The computer is now upside down on a towel on top of a crate with a fan and a dehumidifier. I haven't messed with it again. It JUST happened less than an hour ago. I really hope it's not fried. I friend mentioned I should try to pop out the keys and clean them. I'm really afraid of opening it. Help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let the machine dry out for several days and then open it up if you can and wipe away any water that might remain. You didn't mention which year and model MacBook Air you have but you can go to the ifixit web site and look over the instructions for opening it up. If you're extremely lucky, no damage or shorts occurred. But yes, turning it on was a very bad idea. DO NOT pop out the keys as that may cause damage to the keyboard.

Go to www.ifixit.com and also read thru this entire thread if you get the time. Good luck.

Reaction score
Okay, so I was watching a movie on my dads mac book air and I moved and my blanket knocked over a juice and the computer shut of almost immediately. I have it on top of a crate flipped upside down now with a fan blowing on it from underneath, but I need it fixed by tomorrow. Is there anyway to fix it or really speed up the process???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Okay, so I was watching a movie on my dads mac book air and I moved and my blanket knocked over a juice and the computer shut of almost immediately. I have it on top of a crate flipped upside down now with a fan blowing on it from underneath, but I need it fixed by tomorrow. Is there anyway to fix it or really speed up the process???

No, there is no way to fix it.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I'm afraid not. The power-off is an indicator of a major short, which probably means permanent damage. You may get lucky, but seeing as how it's juice (i.e. with sticky sugars) at a minimum, it will need to be opened up and cleaned. It's probably best to just let your dad know what happened and seeking professional assistance.

Reaction score
I think that the obvious tip is don't drink beverages or have any sort of liquid near your laptop.;)

Having the convenience of being able to drink a beverage while using the laptop just isn't worth the $1500+ cost of a new laptop. And if you choose to not follow this "rule"...then be fully responsible for the consequences (if liquid does get spilled on the laptop).

Don't look for some sort of "miracle fix" if a spill should happen again (which a lot of folks do look for after this happens)!;)

Most folks don't get a 2nd chance!:)

- Nick

p.s. As "chscag" mentioned...I am also guilty of drinking around my laptop(it's very rare)...but I am very very careful when I do it...and I never actually hold the drink over/above the laptop.

I have a sippy cup like babies use for use around my macbook. I'm not kidding. Might look stupid, but...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a sippy cup like babies use for use around my macbook. I'm not kidding. Might look stupid, but...

Hey…I bet many of the folks in this thread (after destroying their computer with liquid)…would be giving this idea two thumbs up!!!:)

Unknown.jpeg

- Nick

Reaction score
The best DIY method to revive your Mac after liquid spills

I've read so many replies, with a lot of people giving definitive advice that is clearly not correct. I run a small repair service in Singapore so I won't be benefiting from offering any service here since many are international users. Would like to chip in and provide a brief guide both DIY and professional methods.

The DIY method that works with slight risk

1. Firstly, power off your Mac immediately by performing a hard shutdown by pressing and holding on the power button.

2. Get hold of a philips crosshead screwdriver and open up the base. For Retina Macbook Pro and Macbook Air, your need a P5 Pentalobe screwdriver. iFixit comes to mind. Else just google and see if other stores sell it.

3. Dry out any water you see, looking for areas where the water indicators have turned red. Inspect and look for corrosion. If there is corrosion, it is best to send it for repairs.

4. Dismantle the entire Mac, get hold of WD40 electrical contact cleaner. Flush the entire logicboard with it. Leave your logicboard to dry for at least 24 hours. Reassmble and power on.

The DIY risk it method.

1. Perform step 1, 2 and 3.

2. Open the LCD to 90 degrees angle.

3. Lay your Macb upside down on a table edge with a towel underneath.

The professional method

1. Send it in to a professional repair service that explicitly states they do chemical cleaning for water damaged Macs as soon as possible. Anything more than 1 week is quite hard to repair.

It is totally untrue that water damaged or logicboards with some corrosion cannot be repaired. Most places can't do it because they do not do component level repairs on the logicboard. It is also possible to revive Macs within hours as professional Mac repair services can do chemical cleaning of even corroded Macbook logicboards with industrial strength cleaning machines and chemicals, and speed dry them with industrial blowers.

Do nots

1. Put it in rice. You are leaving the logicboard inside with water. Your logicboard might grow mould.

2. Use a hair dryer. The LCD might be damaged and the hair dryer pushes water further in.

3. Leave it to "dry" and power it on a few days later. Sometimes this works, but days or weeks down the road, if there is water and moisture, the components inside can start to corrode.

This is what happened to my customer's Macbook Air. He said it suddenly stopped working one night. A number of my customers brought their Macs in after 1 month of usage after a liquid spill. Passing electricity through a Mac with water is like doing electroplating. The rust and corrosion with be adhered to the components.

water2.jpg

Edmond
Mac Plus Singapore

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
guys

i spilled some tea on my mbp retina 15 inches 2015 last week.

i have dried it up as much as possible for an hour with paper towel and with hair dryer and left it for 96 hours or so.

This morning found out that if I start the mbp and keep the lid closed then it goes to login screen but when I put in my username and password after 2 seconds it restarts again.

When the laptop comes to boot screen it shows battery is fully charged and it comes to login screen and it shows the already setup custom boot wqllpaper. Which makes me assume that ssd is ok.

But when I login it reboots straight away as all the components starts drawing power. So, it sound like logic board's power generation circuitry is fried and can't provide enough power to run all the components at the same time.

tpday i went to apple store. they checked it and said that they can see sign of liquid inside. they dont see any corrosion yet though. but they would not recommend to repair it as they can not guarantee if it will work after a logic board repair.

they did not even check if it will turn on or any investigation. they just took 5 minutes to open it and say it cant be repaired.

i will go do an apple authorised repair tomorrow morning to see if they can repair it. but what i am afraid about is that if they have changed something and it starts working and what if more fualts appear later? is it possible for the technicians to identify what components did not have any liquid damage?

cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tpday i went to apple store. they checked it and said that they can see sign of liquid inside. they dont see any corrosion yet though. but they would not recommend to repair it as they can not guarantee if it will work after a logic board repair.

they did not even check if it will turn on or any investigation. they just took 5 minutes to open it and say it cant be repaired.

i will go do an apple authorised repair tomorrow morning to see if they can repair it. but what i am afraid about is that if they have changed something and it starts working and what if more fualts appear later? is it possible for the technicians to identify what components did not have any liquid damage?

cheers

Sorry to hear about the spill. Maybe you noticed…this is page 23 of this thread. These stories (for the most part) are the same...

Liquid + Computer = Problems.

In many cases (probably including yours)…a replacement logic board is needed. And in most situations…the cost of a replacement logic board is prohibitive.

You got the Apple Store feedback…and sure…you can go to an Apple authorized repair place. But don't be surprised if the Apple authorized repair place recommends a replacement logic board. And don't be surprised when you hear the price.;)

- Nick

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to hear about the spill. Maybe you noticed…this is page 23 of this thread. These stories (for the most part) are the same...

Funny thing... I have purged this thread on at least 2 occasions since I rewrote the initial post. So, there's probably hundreds, if not thousands, of the same story. And that's just on M-F.

Reaction score

Liquid + Computer = Problems.

In many cases (probably including yours)…a replacement logic board is needed. And in most situations…the cost of a replacement logic board is prohibitive.

You got the Apple Store feedback…and sure…you can go to an Apple authorized repair place. But don't be surprised if the Apple authorized repair place recommends a replacement logic board. And don't be surprised when you hear the price.;)

- Nick

Thanks Nick.

I already know the repair cost mate. I am from Australia. and Logicboard is gonna cost around $800 and keyboard will take another $200.

I am fine with the prices.

What my question is that is there is anything else can break after logic board is changed?

As far as i understand most of the components are soldered on the logicboard and even the ram.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick.

I already know the repair cost mate. I am from Australia. and Logicboard is gonna cost around $800 and keyboard will take another $200.

I am fine with the prices.

What my question is that is there is anything else can break after logic board is changed?

As far as i understand most of the components are soldered on the logicboard and even the ram.

Unlikely. The only thing that I would be concerned with would be the SSD module, which is about the only component not soldered fast to the logic board in that model. Of course fans and sensors could be a problem too, but I would personally risk it, rather than buying new.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thing to consider are companies that do component level repairs. Especially with Apple logic boards being so expensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.