The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook, what do I do now?" Thread

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I can imagine, this is very frustrating. This will be my first time dealing with Apple, what should I expect at my visit? Will they be able to pinpoint the damage on the spot? Thanks...

When you get to the Apple Store, check in with the concierge who should be waiting near the store entrance. Make sure you tell them that you have an appointment at the Genius bar. Hopefully, you won't have to wait - typically with an appointment, you'll take a seat at the bar and go over the problem with the "Genius". At that point, I'd just explain what happened and when. They will likely take the machine from you and give you a claim slip (kinda like leaving clothes at the dry cleaner). Depending on how busy they are, you may hear back in just a few hours, or it could take a few days. In any event, you will eventually get a call with a quote.

A new system board, which is in essence, the guts of the machine, is the most probably fix. You can expect a repair bill upwards of $700. If it's just the battery, I believe Apple charges $199 for the battery and top case replacement (the battery is actually epoxied in place, so it's impossible to remove without damaging the top case).

Good luck.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can imagine, this is very frustrating. This will be my first time dealing with Apple, what should I expect at my visit? Will they be able to pinpoint the damage on the spot? Thanks...

Most likely scenario:

- open computer
- technician will see that the liquid sensors have been triggered
- receive expensive quote for a new logic board

* Nick

Reaction score
Most likely scenario:

- open computer
- technician will see that the liquid sensors have been triggered
- receive expensive quote for a new logic board

* Nick

Nick,

I'm expecting this.. My concern is I have this Macbook for 7 months and have not paid it off in full yet. So do I eat the cost; repair it, hope it works and has the same life cycle as it would have before the damage happened? Or sell it for whatever its worth and invest in a new Mac all together?

I've read about how people have made a case for it by claiming it under home owners insurance, but I don't know how to go about this or if it's even worth it. Thoughts on this?

Thanks,
-Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm expecting this.. My concern is I have this Macbook for 7 months and have not paid it off in full yet. So do I eat the cost; repair it, hope it works and has the same life cycle as it would have before the damage happened? Or sell it for whatever its worth and invest in a new Mac all together?

Not only is your situation not unique...it's repeated many times in this 19 page thread!:(

The easy answer is:

- You pay for the logic board replacement if the current value of the computer is greater (if the computer was undamaged).
- You don't pay for the logic board replacement if the current value of the computer is less (if the computer was undamaged).

It would seem pretty clear to me that a 7 month old computer would currently be worth more (100% working) than the cost of the logic board replacement. Unless of course if this was a really low end model 11" MacBook Air.

I've read about how people have made a case for it by claiming it under home owners insurance, but I don't know how to go about this or if it's even worth it. Thoughts on this?

The only way to know is to contact your home or renter's insurance company.

- Nick

Reaction score
Not only is your situation not unique...it's repeated many times in this 19 page thread!:(

The easy answer is:

- You pay for the logic board replacement if the current value of the computer is greater (if the computer was undamaged).
- You don't pay for the logic board replacement if the current value of the computer is less (if the computer was undamaged).

It would seem pretty clear to me that a 7 month old computer would currently be worth more (100% working) than the cost of the logic board replacement. Unless of course if this was a really low end model 11" MacBook Air.

The only way to know is to contact your home or renter's insurance company.

- Nick

I appreciate your advice. Lastly, if I do go through with the repair is it worth comparing quotes from Apple to an Apple Authorized dealer?

Thanks,
-Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate your advice. Lastly, if I do go through with the repair is it worth comparing quotes from Apple to an Apple Authorized dealer?

Sure…give it a shot.:)

But there may be other parameters to consider. Like the quality of the work…or speed of the work.

We had a thread posted recently where someone claimed that the repair shop they took their computer to said it could take 30 days to have the logic board replaced. When Apple may be able to do it in 3-5 days.

- Nick

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just like everyone else here I had a spill on my Macbook Pro (mid-2014 model). I took all the protective measures to get the water out but after 24hrs I couldn't wait longer to try and turn it on. It turns out that it does power on but only when plugged into the charger.

The battery on the top right of the screen shows an X and says that the battery is not detected.

I realize the damage is done so, whats the bad news? and what's the best way to go about this?

Thank you,

I spilt beer on my Macbook Pro a couple months ago and like you my battery immediately fried. It would not charge at all and told me to replace immediately. With my fingers crossed I ordered a new battery and it works fine. The new battery charges like it's supposed to and has good life. Apparently in some cases the laptop will essentially order the battery to commit suicide if it detects a possible shortage or liquid damage. I hope that's what happened in your case as well because it's a simple $160 fix as opposed to having to order a new logic board which would be much more pricey.

Reaction score
There are some places that put the logic board in a sort of bath, apparently thats a way of cleaning the logic board and saving you a lot of money in repairs, so it can be saved. @Aspen, sounds like you got real lucky mate ;-> It's true some laptops shut down as a precaution, but usually fluid does more damage. I heard that when there is sugar in the liquid it basically means you got little chance of saving it.

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I had my appointment with apple, they ran some tests and concluded the battery needed replacement. However they're sending it out to their shop. If they find liquid damage it will cost $300 for battery replacement, if they don't find liquid damage it will be free of charge... I'm not sure if the tests they ran rules out any damages to the logic board, but i'm really hoping that the damage is limited to the battery itself.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I had my appointment with apple, they ran some tests and concluded the battery needed replacement. However they're sending it out to their shop. If they find liquid damage it will cost $300 for battery replacement, if they don't find liquid damage it will be free of charge...

At this point all I'm going to say is "fingers-crossed and good luck.":)

Thanks for the update…and please let us know how things turn out.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
At this point all I'm going to say is "fingers-crossed and good luck.":)

Thanks for the update…and please let us know how things turn out.:)

- Nick

So Apple took care of everything! The battery was replaced and there was no charge. Looks like I lucked out. What a relief.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So Apple took care of everything! The battery was replaced and there was no charge. Looks like I lucked out. What a relief.

WOW…you got VERY lucky…congrats!!!:)

It must not have been much of a liquid spill. Because if it was…the liquid sensors on the inside of the computer would have changed color…and this usually automatically means BIG repair bill.

I'm assuming you did have a repair bill. Maybe Apple did see that liquid was spilled. But maybe the repairs were somehow limited to the battery…and not the logic board.

By the way. That $300 that was quoted earlier for battery replacement is way more than what "normal" battery replacement costs. Usually for a just a battery replacement…this is in the $150 price range. So if you paid more than that…my guess is more was done than just a battery replacement.

But in any case…again…congrats.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
worst luck.

hi everyone! my first post on mac-forums here!

i've had really bad luck with my macbook air (1.5 years old) lately. i had my first water damage exactly 2 weeks ago which i got fixed at a local repair shop (they fixed the logic board). this morning, i believe i got yet another water damage on my air. i had my air on the window sill with the A/C installed, and i was attempting to reposition the A/C by lifting it up, when water came out of the A/C and slightly went under my macbook air. freaking out, i immediately removed my air from the window sill and dried it off. i didn't think it seeped underneath the outside portions. i then lifted the cover (it was on sleep mode), and it worked fine! i was super relieved and was thankful... played some spotify and 20 minutes later, the screen went black and i think my air shut down. i tried to plug in the power cord to see if the indicator light would turn green, but no luck. i've had the macbook inverted ever since then... but what do you guys think? why would it turn on and then turn off? should i just leave it to dry for a few days and try turning on again?

:'( worst luck ever.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... but what do you guys think?

You've had two liquid damage issues in 2 weeks with your MacBook Air. I'm sorry to say that if I honestly answered your question (What do you guys think?)…it wouldn't be very nice!!!

should i just leave it to dry for a few days and try turning on again?

Have you read all 20 pages of the thread? This question has been asked and answered at least 10 times (probably more). This is why we created this "sticky" thread. So folks can get quick answers to frequently asked questions.:)

Sorry to hear about the liquid spills. But being more responsible with expensive computer equipment would really be something to think about.

- Nick

Reaction score
water spill success story

I'm posting this to give anyone out there who accidentally spilled water on their macbook hope. I accidentally knocked my water bottle over and it spilled directly on my macbook pro keyboard. I quickly picked it up and flipped it over in an attempt to drain out the water. A fair amount poured out of my computer. Leaving it upside down I grabbed a paper towel and kept dabbing the keyboard to get any additional moisture out. My computer was still turned on this whole time. After no more water came out on the paper towel I flipped it back and set it on my desk. The screen went black within seconds. In a panic I turned it back on. It fired up and went to the log in screen and I started typing my password. Halfway through it went black again and wouldn't turn back on. I then turned to google and found quite a few stories of people who spilled water and by turning their computer off immediately and fully drying their computer they had success and it turned back on. In hopes that there was a slight chance I didn't fry the hard drive I left my computer upside down on an air conditioner vent at home for 1 week. I attempted to turn it on and still nothing. I attempted to plug it in and no response from the power cord (little light on the power cord didn't even light up). In a last attempt I turned my blow dryer on the cool setting and blow dried the keyboard and inputs on the sides for about 10 minutes and then let it sit on the vent again over night. Still nothing the next morning so I took it into the Apple Store. They took it apart and said there was water on the hard drive and SSD and said that to replace these two would be $1,500. I decided I may as well just buy a new macbook rather than replace parts so said I would just take it home as is. They put back together the next day and I picked it up a few days later. At the two week point post spill I was about to go out and buy a new computer but for the heck of it pushed the power button and was amazed to see that my macbook booted up! I logged in and everything was as it was before the spill. All keys work just fine and when I plugged it in it began charging!! I've been using it all day today and am typing this very message from it!! I think having the Apple Store take it apart and leave it over night made everything dry out properly and that's why it's miraculously working now! Hope this helps anyone else out there who is as accident prone as me. From now on only spill-proof sippy-cups at my desk!

Reaction score
Scariest moment of my life!!!!!!!!

Hi, last night I have gotten the scariest moment of my life. At around 7:30 I got home from work and sat down to have a warm cup of hot chocolate when with out even thinking I hit my whole glass of hot chocolate(From the left side) straight on my keyboard. In shock i ran and got a whole role of paper towel(I didn't know what to do) and tried to soak up as much liquid as possible. Seconds later machine starts making a sizzling noise and the screen gone black. Swearing my head of now I think quick and place it on my desk in a tipi position for the rest of the night. This morning I tried turning it on but the screen stayed in it's sad dark state. Right now It's 3:34 and posting this letter of shock on this forum. What should I do am still worried of what my next move should be. If you could tell me what I should do it would save my 16 hundred dollar computer.

Thank again, Matthew

Reaction score
Good to hear

My computer just got terrorized to as you can see above and it's good to hear some positive news today. Prot's on you man :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well Matthew, look at it this way.... you really wanted a new MacBook Pro for Xmas anyway. ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there anything i can do?

Please help I don't have that much money :-(

Have you read all 20 pages of this thread? That's what it's here for. All the info you need is here (good & bad).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.