Possible to boot into a windows HDD from your Lion?

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I need to access the windows side of my Power Mac at home using log me in. My computer is currently defaulted to start up using Lion but I need to access Windows 7. Is there any way I can restart the mac into Windows from the Lion OS?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Use BootChamp - it will give you the option to restart directly into Windows.

As a note for the future, I can guarantee that you don't have a PowerMac since that wouldn't be an Intel machine (which is required for Windows). ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
Wow

That was amazingly quick. Thank you so much for your help. I am on this board for 5 min and already I get a response. Great place you guys have here.

OP
B
Reaction score
I am getting a odd error with bootchamp.
I am using OS Lion and when I go to System Restart its says:
"BootChamp was unable to set your Windows volume as the temporary startup disk Authentication may have failed."

So I delete the BOHelper file and then it makes me authenticate and seems to be working but then I get the error:

"BootChamp was unable to set your Windows volume as the temporary startup disk Bless Failed."

Any ideas?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
None - I don't use it myself nor do I have a BC partition to test this with.

In the mean time, give this little app a try.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I see where you posted to a Bootchamp thread in the Mac Rumors forum. The Dev himself has been trying to work with folks who have been experiencing problems with it. Apparently there a few bugs to be worked out.

In the meantime, use QuickBoot as suggested by Van. Or, if you have the time and patience to set it up, install rEFit. It can be a challenge to get working the way you want but once it's setup correctly, it's an elegant boot manager.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Find Bootchamp to be a great little utility, but as chscag mentions there are a couple of little bugs. Seems there are different builds of the Lion OS. For example mine is 11D50. Particualrly like the way the icon sits in the Menu bar and just starts Windows when selected. Hitting the restart whilst in Windows automatically launches back to Lion.

Go to MacRumours and do a search for Bootchamp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.