• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

When did you last see a payphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Just a few days after telling a young nephew about the long extinct payphone, I come across an article...

'Smart screens' to replace pay phones in NYC | Signal Strength - CNET News

... that says that NYC still has 12800 of them! The last one disappeared from view in my state at least 15 years ago. Is there anybody on the planet, however destitute, that doesn't at least have a Go phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I last saw one at the Amtrak station. Last I remember, there were some at the airport, too.

I like the idea that they're still around, in case my phone battery dies. But I haven't used one in years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
The movie Phone Booth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
County grey bar hotel.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Gas station around the corner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I like the idea that they're still around, in case my phone battery dies. But I haven't used one in years.
I also like the idea they are still around in case we ever need them. Cell phone coverage is still horrible in some areas, and I can't tell you have many times I've hear about tourist thinking their cell phones will work out in the woods or other rural areas. Some of my local parks have pay phones which is good piece of mind in case of an emergency.

A family member of mind once forgot his phone and keys at work but the door automatically locked so he had no way of getting them back. Luckily there was a pay phone a few blocks away so he was able to call someone. It was also very late at night so no one else was around for him to borrow their phones.

I do think pay phones aren't used as often as they once were but I still think they are needed in some cases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
I used to install and repair them...many years ago. I see a few here and there. Not many.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I see a few of them around town here and there. There were a lot more 10 years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
most people do not lend their phones to strangers. especially if the person asking is like under the age of 35. that is my experience anyway. Even my own family has stated in the past they would never lend their phone out to just anyone. they might call the police or something for you. but they wont give you the phone.

especially nowadays when you have phones out there ranging from 3-500 dollars just for the phone.

the only person thats going to lend you a phone is that odd person that has 5 minutes left on a 19.95 dollar walmart phone.

all the payphones where i live are gone. the 2 that i know that do exist dont work and have been cut.

Reaction score
Just a few days after telling a young nephew about the long extinct payphone, I come across an article...

'Smart screens' to replace pay phones in NYC | Signal Strength - CNET News

... that says that NYC still has 12800 of them! The last one disappeared from view in my state at least 15 years ago. Is there anybody on the planet, however destitute, that doesn't at least have a Go phone?

I think that these make a lot of sense in airports, but I'm not sure you'll find me any time soon pulling up at one in the street.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Saw one not even 24 hours ago in the Jackson Street Red Line subway station in Chicago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
they are usually in every single hospital.. mine esp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Actually just came back from NY/NJ - there was an entire bank of them in EWR, and saw a few in NY.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
Gratiot, Ohio. Went after my mail today and took a pic. It still works!

IMG-20120512-00177.jpg

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Gratiot, Ohio. Went after my mail today and took a pic. It still works!

IMG-20120512-00177.jpg

Wow. I've used a few of those in the way way past, although I remember them always being blue. But they are long gone from around here. A very few remnants of the pedestal type are around, torn up with all evidence of a phone missing. Despite looking, I have found 0 (zero) pay phones in my town of about a hundred thousand.

A real live working pay phone in 2012. Woulda never of thunk it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
The 2000 census showed this town with 187 people. You have to go to the post office to get your mail. I live in an unincorporated town nearby thats so small we have to go to this town to get our mail.
Gotta love small town America! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
There is on in the gym wing at my school. I see it everyday. But out in public. I can't remember seeing one that works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Saw an old red phone box (complete with working pay-phone) in a place called Avebury when walking around the stones a week or so ago. The 5 of us proceeded to try and squeeze in it and get some poor passer-by to take a photo of us :)

WIKI >> Avebury Stones

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.