Purchasing a MacBook

Reaction score
Hi there,

I plan to purchase a MacBook in the next couple of months and I was wondering if the MacBook Air would work well with Photoshop. If not, what would you recommend? My laptop will primarily be used for designing and coding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
It will work however you will not be experiencing lightening fast renders. If you wish to however, definitely look into getting some after-market RAM to boost the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
You can't add aftermarket RAM to a MacBook Air I'm afraid.

If Photoshop is your primary concern, then you'd want to look at the MacBook Pro, purely based on the fact you can upgrade the RAM. You can always add a SSD as well to make it super zippy.

C

chas_m

It's all relative. I'll bet Photoshop CS3 would run like greased lightning on a MB Air (and yes, CS3 runs under Lion. Have no idea if it will run under ML though).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My mistake, got my thinking all tangled up there.

Why do you want an Air in particular? Is it size? Cost? You will have to make compromises here, so it is really up to you regarding where they are made.

OP
J
Reaction score
My mistake, got my thinking all tangled up there.

Why do you want an Air in particular? Is it size? Cost? You will have to make compromises here, so it is really up to you regarding where they are made.

Well, to be honest, I liked the physical design of the Air. I also liked the flash storage. I suppose I'll purchase the MacBook Pro, then. :)

Thanks for the help, guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, to be honest, I liked the physical design of the Air. I also liked the flash storage. I suppose I'll purchase the MacBook Pro, then. :)

Thanks for the help, guys!
Remember that you can install SSD in the MacBook, if you don't need the optical drive you can change that for some flash storage or you can just straight swap out the HDD for a SSD. Just do a Google on how to do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.