Total number of Fans on iMac

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Can someone verify the number of fans on the iMac? I just bought a mid-2011 model and it gets pretty warm...

I believe there should be one for the CPU, one for the HD, and one for the ODD right??

so 3 total..??

Also, if I install SMC FAN CONTROL and turn the fans up for all three devices, will this cause any problems?? it ONLY controls the fans right??

Should I only manipulate the fan for the CPU?? or is it OK to play with the fan on the ODD and the HDD as well...

thank u very much! I just wanted to verify because I didn't wanna have the funs running so high and it might burn something...or damage something..I just bought the darn thing...Don't wanna screw it up! :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, there are three fans in your iMac:

1. HDD

2. CPU

3. Optical Drive

There is absolutely no need to install or use SMCFanControl as your iMac runs cool and does not need an "assist". Running any of the fans faster than the temperature sensors are designed to do will only make your iMac noisier and shorten the life of the fan(s).

The iMac has an intake vent at its display bottom (near the memory module door) and an exhaust vent at the top of the display. Don't block either one.

If you would like to monitor the temperatures and fan speeds, down the free iStat Pro Widget from here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.