Kingston SSD freezes MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo

Reaction score
I have a problem with my MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo (Model A1211).
Since I replaced the original hdd with a "Kingston SSDnow V200 Series 256GB, SATA-3" SSD the mac suddenly hangs or freezes. The rainbow pinwheel shows up and I have to hard reset the computer. The problem occurs only during ssd disc io, such as backing up the disk with timemachine or watching a random amount of iphoto pictures.

I checked Kingston's product sheet. They write, their V200 SSD's are only backward compatible to SATA 2, please see: http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/sv200s3_us.pdf
Interface SATA Rev. 3.0 (6Gb/s) – with backwards compatibility to SATA Rev. 2.0

My questions about this:
- Is someone out there running a Kingston SSDnow V200 on a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro without problems?
- Is this a sata-interface compatibility issue?
- Or is this just a stupid disc failure?

Regards,
nocontrol

Reaction score
Kingston ssdnow v200

Yes, I have the same problem.
Core 2 Duo MBP with newly installed SSD

I've been trying to clean install Lion and the install always hangs with 4 or 5 minutes left to go.

Have you tried resetting the SMC? - I've done the PRAM but not the SMC yet. I've also repartitioned a number of times and that doesn't help.

I'm hoping its not a SATA3 issue - if it is, I don't believe there is any reliable solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Had a Kingston SSDNOW v100 fail and it was replaced under warranty with the V200. Because of the reported SATA backward compatibility problem sold it.

h9k

Reaction score
How to check Kingston SSDNow for hardware failures?

Hi,

I will need to prove I have a defective drive if I have any hope of returning it.

I have seeing similar problems when I added a Kingson SSDNow 100 (128G).
Strangely after a Software Update that required a reboot it would fail on the grey
boot screen. I reinstall of OSX works for a while, then but afore mentioned Software Update and reboot seems to kill my system.

Any assistance appreciated.

h9k

OSX Version 10.6.8
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Hi,

I will need to prove I have a defective drive if I have any hope of returning it.

I have seeing similar problems when I added a Kingson SSDNow 100 (128G).
Strangely after a Software Update that required a reboot it would fail on the grey
boot screen. I reinstall of OSX works for a while, then but afore mentioned Software Update and reboot seems to kill my system.

Any assistance appreciated.

h9k

OSX Version 10.6.8
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

get an external enclosure use your ssd disk as external drive, use carbon copy clone to clone your internal drive to ssd drive, boot up external drive. Hold the option key as soon as your hear the chime when boot up. If does not let your boot up then the ssd drive is not good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Boot from your system install disc and run Repair Disc. Look for red messages such as incorrect block counts or incorrect threads and advise the seller who will pass it on to Kingston.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.