cannot transfer files from iPhoto to external hard drive

mlp

Reaction score
Hello, I need some help please!

I just got my first Mac and its a MacBook Air. I wanted to transfer some pictures from my iPhoto library into my external hard drive which is a verbatim clon but it will not let me. Now, according to what says on the box of my external hard drive it supports both Mac OS X and Windows. I can transfer pictures from my external hard drive into windows but not vise versa. I read some other threads where people are having similar problems but they mention that a message pop up saying ¨cannot be modified¨ but that doesn't come up to me it simply doesn't allow me to do so without any messages or notices coming up. What can I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about telling us what file format the verbatim hard drive is using? If the drive is formatted to FAT-32 it would be compatible for both Windows and OS X, however, if the format is NTFS, it will only be compatible for Windows.

The box may say the drive supports both OS X and Windows, but that usually assumes that the drive will be reformatted to the correct file format.

OP
M

mlp

Reaction score
Where or how can I find out which format is the external hard drive using?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Attach the external drive to your PC. Assuming the drive shows up as E:, open a command prompt and type in the following: chkdsk E:

That will tell you what file system it's using plus other information.

OP
M

mlp

Reaction score
hello

can I do the same but attached the external drive into the MAC as I don´t longer have the PC I was using before.

C

chas_m

If there's nothing on there, just save yourself a lot of time and reformat the thing to OS X using Disk Utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
can I do the same but attached the external drive into the MAC
Right/Ctrl click on the drive's icon and select "Get Info". That should tell you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.