MacBook pro will not start up

Reaction score
I have a MacBook pro 17, early 2009 dual boot with snow leopard and windows xp. Mac os has been running slow and has now stopped completely and I get the apple logo, spinning disc (not beach ball) and loading bar but the loading bar does not load! Even after leaving on for hours. I have tried launching from the start up disk and using disk utility to repair the hard drive but the drive is highlighted in red and says it cannot be repaired, and to back up the files. Since I can't open in mac os I can't do this. I can open the windows side which makes me think it isn't the hard drive but... I have tried opening in single user mode but with no success. I have an auful lot of work stored and only about half backed up as i only have a small external drive. Any help greatlfully received
Should also mention I am in the Gambia for a while and so cannot access apple store

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No need to double post. Thanks.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have tried launching from the start up disk and using disk utility to repair the hard drive but the drive is highlighted in red and says it cannot be repaired, and to back up the files.

This pretty much tells the whole story. If you tried booting the computer with the OS DVD...then launching Disk Utility to repair the HD...and Disk Utility says that the HD cannot be repaired...sounds to me that your HD is either dead or dying.

If this is the case...and if you don't have your important files backed up...they may be lost!:(

With the info given...sounds to me you need a new HD.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
This pretty much tells the whole story. If you tried booting the computer with the OS DVD...then launching Disk Utility to repair the HD...and Disk Utility says that the HD cannot be repaired...sounds to me that your HD is either dead or dying.

If this is the case...and if you don't have your important files backed up...they may be lost!:(

With the info given...sounds to me you need a new HD.

- Nick

Either this, or your hard drive is corrupted beyond repair. Since you can boot Windows, does that still run fine or are you having issues with Windows also?

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I double posted as I didn't know if it was a hardware or software problem. The message says there is a hard wear problem but windows runs fine, as good as new. Which is why I am confused if the dive is dead how come windows runs ok?

If the drive is indeed dead will ereasing and reconfiguring work or do I need a new drive?

Also is there any point in trying to get an apple store to try and recover any files when I get back to the uk or are they likely lost?

Thanks again

OP
E
Reaction score
Just to let you know, tried a SMC followed by start up in safe mode and it worked! Desktop returned and while painfully slow not as painful as loosing all my files. Bought a half terra bite WD external drive and am backing up via time machine as we speak.

So if anyone else has this problem give this a go

Having a few local beers to celebrate

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.