highlighting text using option key not working properly in Preview 5.5.1

Reaction score
Can anyone help me please?

I have Preview Version 5.5.1 (719.16) installed.

I wanted to highlight a portion of text in a .pdf document in order to copy it to another text file, and so took the following steps:

1. Selected the 'text' tool from the menu bar
2. Held down the option key
3. Dragged the mouse across the area I wished to highlight (so that I could copy it to a new text file).

Although this works perfectly in my previous version of Preview - 5.0.3 (504.1) it is not working properly in 5.5.1.

In 5.0.3, the level of controllability of the highlight box is very fine, and the area can be easily copied, in 5.5.1 there is a very poor level of controllability and so it isn't really useable.

Please note this is to do with highlighting text, NOT images.

To reproduce:

use version 5.0.3 of Preview installed on a Snow Leopard operating system:

1. Open an unlocked .pdf document which contains text in Preview.
2. Look for a block of text to highlight - e.g. three lines of text
3. Click on the 'text' tool on the toolbar (or select 'text' tool from the Tools main menu bar).
4. Hold down the Option (alt) key and then drag across the block of text you wish to highlight. The cursor will change to a cross-hair, and an outline border will appear to show the area of text being selected/highlighted. This outline border will grow/resize/shrink as the area being dragged across changes. IT IS EASY TO FINELY CONTROL THE SELECTION. When you have highlighted the block of text you wish to select, release the option key, and stop dragging.
5. You can now optionally go to the File menu and select 'copy' (or use the cmd key + 'C') to copy the text. Open a new file which can accept text (e.g. Pages, or TextEdit, etc) and paste the copied text into the new file.

Now to compare, use version 5.5.1. of Preview installed on a Lion operating system (I have 10.7.3):

Follow steps 1 - 5 above, but note that in step 4 you will find that the outline border around the text you are trying to select is not as easy to control as it is much harder (and in some cases impossible) to highlight the exact block of text you want to be able to copy.

This ability to select, highlight, and then copy and paste from Preview is something which I use on a regular basis and so am keen to have a fix (or acceptable workaround) done. I hope someone can help? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.