Antivirus and Virus worry's -.-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB
Good afternoon, right I read the other day about the new virus's thats supposed to be spreading around that will affect iMacs, MacBooks etc. So being silly I went ahead and downloaded Sophos.

Did a scan and it found 3 virus's on what I can presume to be my external HDD (Time machine drive) It gave me the option to clean up but It said I had to delete the files manually. To cut a long story short, I couldn't find the files to delete so I tried ClamXav.

The scan never actually completed itself and since uninstalling this my iMac doesn't feel the same. Its really slow and when I try and resume what I was doing after its gone into sleep it just freezes causing me to press and hold the power button which I have never had to do.

I have disconnected my external HDD which seems to have made a difference. Now, if i format my external HDD and then redo the Time Machine backup this should in theory get rid of these viruses, however I have no Idea how to do this and Im worried something bad is going to happen. So if there is anyone that could help me out I would be VERY VERY grateful.

Mark

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Good afternoon, right I read the other day about the new virus's thats supposed to be spreading around that will affect iMacs, MacBooks etc. So being silly I went ahead and downloaded Sophos.

There are a number of trojans for the Mac. This is an important distinction because trojans are contracted by tricking the user into allowing the malware to be installed. Knowing the attack vector can help you protect the computer from its greatest threat - the loose nut behind the keyboard ;)

No amount of anti-virus software (which has proven to be ineffective against this latest trojan) will protect the computer from a gullible user who is tricked into installing malicious software.

Did a scan and it found 3 virus's on what I can presume to be my external HDD (Time machine drive) It gave me the option to clean up but It said I had to delete the files manually. To cut a long story short, I couldn't find the files to delete so I tried ClamXav.

What exactly did it find? Did you make any notes? This is important because in most cases, it will have detected Windows-specific malware, which is completely harmless to your Mac.

The scan never actually completed itself and since uninstalling this my iMac doesn't feel the same. Its really slow and when I try and resume what I was doing after its gone into sleep it just freezes causing me to press and hold the power button which I have never had to do.

In my opinion, Sophos is a pretty craptastic product. How did you go about uninstalling it?

I have disconnected my external HDD which seems to have made a difference. Now, if i format my external HDD and then redo the Time Machine backup this should in theory get rid of these viruses, however I have no Idea how to do this and Im worried something bad is going to happen. So if there is anyone that could help me out I would be VERY VERY grateful.

Mark

Reformatting is probably not necessary. Connect the drive and open Disk Utility. Select the volume from the left side and then click the First Aid tab. Run Verify/Repair Disk and Verify/Repair Permissions.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much for replying so soon.

I uninstalled ClamXav not Sophos, I havent noticed any problems from Sophos so far.

I would feel better to reformat the HDD at least I know its a nice fresh backup. Should I just reformat it like a normal drive and then start a new time machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
What kind of virus did you find with clamavx ?
Os X virus ?
Or windows virus ?
Are you dual booting with windows ?
Windows virus can not harm OS X

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't find any with ClamXav since it didn't actually finish the scan. I found 3 with Sophos which were Trojans and Malware, i can't find the details of them anymore since I unplugged my external HDD so I'm guessing that was the cause.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you TattooedMac, thats pretty much the answer I was looking for :)

C

chas_m

What kind of virus did you find with clamavx ?
Os X virus ?
Or windows virus ?
Are you dual booting with windows ?
Windows virus can not harm OS X

Dobby:

In as much as there is no such thing as an OS X virus, he didn't and is not going to find one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dobby:

In as much as there is no such thing as an OS X virus, he didn't and is not going to find one.

As fare as we know .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do not mind how you like to call it malware , virus , rootkits .
But do not get asleep

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Asleep? No I am wide awake and fix Windows systems for a living some with 100 Virus's and 1000's of malware. Do that daily.

That Flashback is not a true Virus. Sorry. Not saying a true virus will never be made for OSX, but so far, only a few trojans that require user action.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does it really matter for the user that is system is infected with a virus , malware or a rootkit .

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Asleep? No I am wide awake and fix Windows systems for a living some with 100 Virus's and 1000's of malware. Do that daily.

That Flashback is not a true Virus. Sorry. Not saying a true virus will never be made for OSX, but so far, only a few trojans that require user action.

I think the lines are starting the blur, to be honest. And I'm not sure that Flashback really is just a trojan. From what I've read, users can be infected just by visiting a bad webpage. It's more like a worm in that it exploits a vulnerability in Java.

Now that Apple has updated OS X Java to the current 1.6_31 release, it's pretty much a non-issue. But I think Apple needs to transition Java support for OS X over to Oracle and call it quits. 1.6_31 was out well over a month before Apple released it for OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Does it really matter for the user that is system is infected with a virus , malware or a rootkit .

Well, everything else is a subset of "malware". It matters in identifying the remedy, yes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.