Problem deleting photos from Pictures

Reaction score
I am using iphotos 09 and trying to delete photos from my hard drive as I have too many and I need some space as my computer is working very sluggishly. When I delete them from iphotos they are still in Pictures so still taking up space. In an older version of iphotos it was easy to remove photos from Pictures. In this version the dates don't matchand they are listed by the date so that the 1st of every month are files together followed by the 2nd of every month. Its crazy and very frustratine and time consuming to remove photos. Is this still the same with the newest version of iphotos? I am reluctant to download it in case its even worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello,
Are the photos still in the Trash can in iPhoto? You need to also delete from there if you haven't already.(Empty your desktop Trash as well because they will appear in a folder in there)

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes I have emptied trash and that makes a bit of difference but the files are still in Pictures library where they are stored as opposed to iphotos where I view them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Yes I have emptied trash and that makes a bit of difference but the files are still in Pictures library where they are stored as opposed to iphotos where I view them

Hello again,
I'm not overfamiliar with how it works but it's possible what your are seeing are cached images.
I don't think that it's recommended that you start altering things in the library folder because it could cause the application to fail.
You seem to have gone about deleting things in the right however.
Cheers

Reaction score
I am using iphotos 09 and trying to delete photos from my hard drive as I have too many and I need some space as my computer is working very sluggishly. When I delete them from iphotos they are still in Pictures so still taking up space. In an older version of iphotos it was easy to remove photos from Pictures. In this version the dates don't matchand they are listed by the date so that the 1st of every month are files together followed by the 2nd of every month. Its crazy and very frustratine and time consuming to remove photos. Is this still the same with the newest version of iphotos? I am reluctant to download it in case its even worse.
Do you get the result you want if from within iPhoto you select the image, then select File, Delete version and master?

OP
G
Reaction score
My version doesn't have this option in File menu. I am working with version 09. When I delete photos I just click delete button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.