Need Help Installing RAM (late 2010 MacBook Pro)

Reaction score
I bought some G-Skill 8 GB RAM (2x 4GB) for my MacBook Pro. It's supposed to be cable of holding 8 GB of RAM but it seems it only wants to recognize 6 GB. I tried putting the 2 matching sticks in together and it boots, and you hear the noise, but it starts loading and you see the spinning wheel but it won't quite get to the login screen.

I took out one of the 4 GB sticks and popped in one of the original 2 GB sticks that came with the machine in its place. It booted up perfectly showing 6 GB in the system profiler, and I was able to use it just fine.

I tried to shake things up and see if it was possibly a defective stick. I switched one of the new 4 GB sticks for the other to see if it worked. It did, and it booted up properly with 6 GB again and that's what I'm using to type this message right now.

My question is, what else needs to be done to get this working? The only thing I can think of that I could be doing wrong is the RAM is DDR3-1333, and the machine is limited to 1067 by the motherboard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.