Transferring files problem :(

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum so I don't know if I'm posting in the right place but does anybody know if there's a way to transfer files from a new macbook pro to an old macbook without using an external hard drive? Ive tried migration assistant but it's stuck on "looking for computers"even tho they're both connected to the same network and both have updated software ...is it even possible to transfer stuff from a newer version mac to an older mac, cos i know usually people transfer from old to new ...

OP
V
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum so I don't know if I'm posting in the right place but does anybody know if there's a way to transfer files from a new macbook pro to an old macbook without using an external hard drive? Ive tried migration assistant but it's stuck on "looking for computers" ...is it even possible to transfer stuff from a newer version mac to an older mac, cos i know usually people transfer from old to new ...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged threads - please don't crosspost.

Take a look here - it describes the various ways to use MA. If you've only tried one, try one of the other ways. If that doesn't work, you could always share a folder and transfer files manually. Although that would be much more tedious (you'd have to resort everything and reconfigure software manually), it would work.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks vansmith ! Your link was really helpful. I ended up just enabling file sharing and sharing the files manually like you said . Don't have many files to transfer anyway . Thanks again, solved my problem :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.