funny issue with excel / word

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I usually create my company offers / price lists in excel.
But i try to avoid sending attachments with emails wherever possible.
When i was on PC, i would create a table - give it borders for each cell - copy and paste it to a new message in mail. All the data would get copied including the cell borders. It would look like a neat table. No need to send any attachments.

With Mac,
- - I tried to do the same thing but all the formatting was lost when i copied it to a message.
- - Now i've finally found a way out - i copy and paste my table to Word .. and then again .. from Word, i'll copy and paste it to Mac Mail. All the tables appear perfectly - with the borders ... lovely.

But Excel and Word belong to the same family, is'nt it? If it can do it with Word, why cant i do it with Excel? Why cant i create a table in excel with cell borders and make it appear it in mac mail directly without having to go via word?

Sorry if the question sounds stupid .... any help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
With Mac, - I tried to do the same thing but all the formatting was lost when i copied it to a message. - Now i've finally found a way out - i copy and paste my table to Word .. and then again .. from Word, i'll copy and paste it to Mac Mail. All the tables appear perfectly - with the borders ... lovely.

Check mail preferences, composing. What method are you using to compose messages? Rich Text or Plain Text? Rich Text should maintain the graphics and cells whereas Plain Text will not.

But Excel and Word belong to the same family, is'nt it? If it can do it with Word, why cant i do it with Excel? Why cant i create a table in excel with cell borders and make it appear it in mac mail directly without having to go via word?

Excel and Word are part of MS Office but are very different applications. They use a common document folder and tools for spelling, grammar, etc. but that's about the extent of it.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I did check my mail preferences - its set to Rich Text.

Sorry i made a mistake in my earlier post, the data copied from excel gets pasted - but the cell borders (which will make it look like a proper table) dont appear.

So now the table is there but without the borders - and all the text within the cells somehow gets aligned to the RIGHT SIDE of the cell.

Whereas when i copy it from Excel to Word - everything remains intact. And then when i copy it from Word to Mail, everything is still intact. Just 1 step more - i'm quite ok with it ... but just curious ....

Excel and Word are different apps - yes, i understand that. But why would a table copied from Word come in as a table ... and a table copied from excel .. come in as text .. beats me.

Reaction score
Copying contents from excel sheet into mac mail with the format and borders

Well, thanks to the forum, i was able to resolve the irritation i had when trying to copy and paste excel content in Mac Mail.

This is the procedure you need to follow. Its very simple and removes the complaints from Apple not allowing us to work with excel the way we work with PC's.

To copy a portion of the spreadsheet into a word or email application - highlight area to be copied and then hold the shift key while selection the edit menu. You'll see your options have changed. Select Copy picture and paste into application.

Trust you'll find this a better alternative.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.