• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What would you run on your Mac if OS X suddenly became unavailable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Not that I can imagine how or why this would happen, but it's just a thought experiment to see what people would choose if they had to & what their reasoning would be...

Most of the OSes above have things going for them, and things going against them; so it's not a clear-cut situation...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'd probably run some form of Linux.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Probably Windows 7. I can't stand Metro for a DESKTOP computer OS. It's fine for a tablet and phone.

Also I would have Open Suse there also.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
I came from the Linux world to Mac OS X last year. It has become my primary desktop machine for my every day use. I still use several varieties of Linux for some custom software that I haven't ported to OS X yet. So, if OS X were to disappear, I would probably just go back to Mint.

Bill

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Unix Based OS. :p

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I like all the Linux love here. Although, I suppose if you exclude Windows from the conversation, there's little left except for maybe a BSD.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Put me down for Linux too, though I might have to dual boot windows. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I'd sell my mac, assemble a gaming rig with Windows and get a small netbook dual-booting Windows and some form of Linux. I have been messing around with Mint and it is really clean--far surpassed my expectations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
SUSE Linux with a Windows 7 partition for iTunes and the like.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Put me down for Linux too, though I might have to dual boot windows. ;P
Give the machine enough RAM and you could virtualize it. I suggest this because why would you not want to be running Linux if it was installed? I mean...c'mon! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I'd use Linux primarily, but at some point I'd probably have to dual-boot Windows for certain tasks...

Either way, I'd use computers far less than I do now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Will let you know when, and if, this happens.

Considering still see machines running OS 7.6 a long long way off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Being an old codger, I'm probably a bit different from most folks on this forum. I've been using Linux since '97. I've not had a Win product since then. And never missed it. Not one bit. So if I was to lose my OX, Linux is my choice. Matter of face, I still have an older HP laptop that runs Mepis. Still working like a champ. And still use it. Yes, Linux is still a viable option for me. But since I receintly came over to the Mac world, I think I'll be an Apple fanboi for some time to come. Love my iPhone and MacBook. But it won't keep me from using Linux. Never. Love Linux and all the choice it offers as well as OX.

Reaction score
Probably Linux, but I am a bloody beginner when it comes to compiling programs and editing config files...

Reaction score
I like the Parker "Jotter" ballpoint pens, w/black ink fine tip. I also really like the Papermate Logo II mechanical pencils in .5mm, HB lead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Probably Linux, but I am a bloody beginner when it comes to compiling programs and editing config files...

A mini lesson on installing programs for Linux: Keep to programs made for your distro. Use only those in the repos for the distro you are using. Not only is it easy to install and delete programs but it's safer as well.

I too could never wrap my brain around compiling tar balls (compressed programs from non-approved sources). So I never used them. On the other hand, programs from approved sources (official repos) are no sweat to work with. Most distros have GUIs to do all the work for you. Just point and click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Ubuntu or Mint

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Ubuntu or Mint

Both are very good distros. And both use the Debian package manager method to do the work of installing and deleting packages. One has the option of using either a terminal or the GUI (Synaptic) version to do the work. I love Debian based distros. It so darn easy to mange your Linux OS. It really is.

As to the two you mentioned, Ubuntu is a great distro and easy to tweak. It prompts you when needed. Lots and lots of forum support. But for my money, Linux Mint is top notch especially for anyone new to Linux. While you'll have to install certain things in Ubuntu - which it will prompt you to do - Mint has it all. Very little to add to it. Truly one of the few 'works out of the box' distro out there.

Now if you really want to get geeky, try the granddaddy all Debian distros are based on - Why Debian, of course. A bit more work and hair pulling and gnashing of teeth to do. But not all that much more. Of course it's the package manager that makes all this possible. Just can't beat the Debain package manager. Bar none! EX: Via the terminal, 'apt-get install package'. apt-get delete package'. Of course the GUI (Synaptic) is just a matter of point and click. I'm currently using Mepis on my HP laptop. Another Debian based distro worthy of your consideration.

And while I'm at it, download/install packages designed and provided for the Linux you are using. Stay away from those nasty tarballs. Ugh!

Visit Distrowatch for a listing of just about all the distros available - hundreds!. From the most popular to the most obscure one man operations. distrowatch.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.