Photoshop causes mac to crash

Reaction score
hello, i am running adobe cs5 on my early '12 macbook pro, 8 gigs of ram and plenty of hd space. recently my computer has been crashing white using programs in adobe, photoshop in particular. when the crash occurs, a screen with a grey and black vertical bar appears and i am forced to manually reboot the computer. often times upon reboot the screen appears to be pixelated in a strange horizontal pattern and at times has failed to reboot completely. this obviously worries me as my computer is brand new. the hard drive is partitioned with windows 7 installed, if that is of any relevance. any advice would be most appreciated.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
hello, i am running adobe cs5 on my early '12 macbook pro, 8 gigs of ram and plenty of hd space. recently my computer has been crashing white using programs in adobe, photoshop in particular. when the crash occurs, a screen with a grey and black vertical bar appears and i am forced to manually reboot the computer. often times upon reboot the screen appears to be pixelated in a strange horizontal pattern and at times has failed to reboot completely. this obviously worries me as my computer is brand new. the hard drive is partitioned with windows 7 installed, if that is of any relevance. any advice would be most appreciated.

Take it to the Apple store. It is still under warranty and should have no problem handling Photoshop.

OP
C
Reaction score
Take it to the Apple store. It is still under warranty and should have no problem handling Photoshop.

thanks razormac, that does sound like the most logical approach. any idea what could be behind this? obviously they will be able to tell me at the store but i'm quite curious as to what this may be.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does the screen that comes up have writing in many languages telling you to restart your computer or is it something else? Sounds like maybe a Video Chipset issue if it's not that many language Kernel Panic screen. If that is the case, take it to Apple like Razor suggested as it might be a hardware fault and they will make it right.

OP
C
Reaction score
Does the screen that comes up have writing in many languages telling you to restart your computer or is it something else? Sounds like maybe a Video Chipset issue if it's not that many language Kernel Panic screen. If that is the case, take it to Apple like Razor suggested as it might be a hardware fault and they will make it right.

here's a picture of the screen
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj508/cobb136/photo-1.jpg

thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a video problem like Dennis stated in the reply above yours. Definitely take the machine in to Apple and have them diagnosis it. Make an appointment first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.