turn off, really turn off, Macbook

Reaction score
You can't keep a good man down, I guess. What do I have to do to get my MacBook to turn off? Apparently there's that scary virus going around, so I thought I'd upload the latest virus-fighting stuff. To do that, I need to turn off the 'book. I keep getting to the rectangle that asks, "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" And I'm like, yeah, let's do it. Everything disappears except the desktop photo. I think there's some way to strangle the computer, isn't there, by holding down three keys the way Dr. Spock would do that thing to people at the base of their neck?

[icon here of Dr. Spock disabling opponent]

OP
A
Reaction score
reply to aging elderly

I hear you got a PhD. How can a smart guy like you not know how to turn off a computer?

[woops, just found out that this is called a double post. Paradoxically, it can't be cancelled, though apologies can be appended. Words proliferate, even the words to end the words, or to apologize for them. So, sorry, and now I'll shut up.]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
If it's not shutting down, there must be something from preventing it from doing so.

Click on the Apple logo, and force close any apps that are running (if normal app closing won't do it), then try to shut down.

OP
A
Reaction score
shut-down without Apple logo

If it's not shutting down, there must be something from preventing it from doing so.

Click on the Apple logo, and force close any apps that are running (if normal app closing won't do it), then try to shut down.

Thank-you, Chuckoir. The problem is that I already clicked on the Apple, but now there's no apple, as Eve said, licking her lips. It's just the desktop, with no icons or words. I can move the mouse around and dig into the edges and corners, but still nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You'll have to hard shutdown then. Hold the Power button until it shuts off.

OP
A
Reaction score
successful turn-off; also: virus worries for Macs

Stretch: You'll have to hard shutdown then. Hold the Power button until it shuts off...

aging elderly: Thanks Stretch! That did it. That was the Dr. Spock strangle thing that I couldn't quite remember. For folks like me, it's counter-intuitive to keep pressing what feels like the on button, ignoring the computer's polite question...feels like strangling. But it had to be done. Then I quickly updated my Java for Mac software [OS X 10.5 Udate 10 version 1], feeling like a pro. Supposedly Macs are in some danger this week, according to the article below. Are other people worried about this?

Widespread Virus Proves Macs Are No Longer Safe From Hackers - NYTimes.com

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Stretch: You'll have to hard shutdown then. Hold the Power button until it shuts off...

aging elderly: Thanks Stretch! That did it. That was the Dr. Spock strangle thing that I couldn't quite remember. For folks like me, it's counter-intuitive to keep pressing what feels like the on button, ignoring the computer's polite question...feels like strangling. But it had to be done. Then I quickly updated my Java for Mac software [OS X 10.5 Udate 10 version 1], feeling like a pro. Supposedly Macs are in some danger this week, according to the article below. Are other people worried about this?

So far it looks like more of the same overblown reporting based on promptings from AV firms trying to market their product.

There is obviously a Malware risk from Trojans, but I haven't seen any actual reports of anyone who has been infected by this.

OP
A
Reaction score
April virus for Macs?

So far it looks like more of the same overblown reporting based on promptings from AV firms trying to market their product.

There is obviously a Malware risk from Trojans, but I haven't seen any actual reports of anyone who has been infected by this.

Thanks Razormac. Well, I wasn't infected. It was a New York Times article, and in my experience they tend to overstate... So hopefully all's well that ends well.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Just to reiterate . . . There is a risk, and we should make sure we practice safe computing. Especially, not clicking on questionable links and blindly entering your password when asked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
OP
A
Reaction score
Razormack: Just to reiterate . . . There is a risk, and we should make sure we practice safe computing. Especially, not clicking on questionable links and blindly entering your password when asked...

aging: okay, thanks Raze, I'll be careful. If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Razormack: Just to reiterate . . . There is a risk, and we should make sure we practice safe computing. Especially, not clicking on questionable links and blindly entering your password when asked...

This has ALWAYS been true of computing on the net in general. If you click on a phishing link that is in your email etc.. you can be redirected to a site that asks for personal information without you even knowing it. This is nothing new.

Using common sense when on a computer should be rule one. Unfortunately, people think that everything they see should be taken at face value. None of that has anything to do with how secure OS X is at its core.

Doug

OP
A
Reaction score
okay, words to the wise from you guys, thanks. I'll use common sense. Maybe if I'm not sure about some link I'll bring it here and ask about it.

C

chas_m

At the risk of undermining some of the very sage advice you have received here, you mentioned that you are still running OS X 10.5 – and thus, you are still at risk. The Java update you refer to is months old, and does not address the current problem. You should disable Java in your web browser's preferences. You should also consider upgrading to Snow Leopard if your Mac supports it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.