Help have Mac lion

Reaction score
Gee.. I don't know where I am... hope this is the place to be to ask a question? This is all new to me. I just upgraded to a new Mini-Mac and I now have LION and I use to be able to do snapshots or I guess they called it drop stuff - the quick keys are Shift-Alt-#4 and I would get a + sign then I can drag it over to what I want to take a snapshot and I get it - you hear a click just like I really am taking a picture and it does not work??? on Lion? Does anyone have any suggestions? Or where it is now on my keyboard?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Copy this keyboard shortcut sheet for Lion. You can save it in your documents folder or print it out for reference. LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
The alternative, and what I have done, is to find the app 'Grab' in Applications -> Utilities and drag it to the dock for convenience.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
Gee.. I don't know where I am... hope this is the place to be to ask a question? This is all new to me. I just upgraded to a new Mini-Mac and I now have LION and I use to be able to do snapshots or I guess they called it drop stuff - the quick keys are Shift-Alt-#4 and I would get a + sign then I can drag it over to what I want to take a snapshot and I get it - you hear a click just like I really am taking a picture and it does not work??? on Lion? Does anyone have any suggestions? Or where it is now on my keyboard?
Thanks

The command you want is still available, and the keys haven't changed, it's Command-Shift-#4.

Command-Control-Shift-#4 does the same thing, except it copies the snapshot to the clipboard instead of a PNG on the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
The command you want is still available, and the keys haven't changed, it's Command-Shift-#4.

Command-Control-Shift-#4 does the same thing, except it copies the snapshot to the clipboard instead of a PNG on the desktop.
Can you then:
a) Change it so that it drops it in a file
or
b) Paste it directly to the Desktop by minimising all open windows?

C

chas_m

Gmail may not have been clear enough.

Command-shift-four allows you to select a screenshot and save it to a file.

A slightly different command, command-shift-CONTROL-four, saves the screenshot to the clipboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
Gmail may not have been clear enough.

Command-shift-four allows you to select a screenshot and save it to a file.

A slightly different command, command-shift-CONTROL-four, saves the screenshot to the clipboard.
Thanks for the clarification, I thought it would have been an odd change by Apple.

C

chas_m

To the best of my recollection, these commands have remained consistent throughout all iterations of OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.