Onyx says disc needs repair. But how?

Reaction score
New to Onyx, I just got it since Maintenance didn't work with a 10.7 upgrade... it says my startup disk (Macintosh HD) needs to be repaired, and to "restart while pressing command-R," then choose Disk Utility... I've tried restarting, pressing cmd+R at various points, but so far I get nothing. IS this something obvious that I've missed and should already know? thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
restart, when the screen goes off (black) then gray, just hold down the left CMD and R keys until it comes up to the repair screen.

OP
C
Reaction score
hmmm... at what point should i see something? I've done this when black, and after it went to grey, but I end up with my usual desktop (though much slower)...

OP
C
Reaction score
oh boy. It never occurred to me that holding command R on a bluetooth keyboard that is not yet connected is futile...duh!
done. thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As you see wireless keyboard and mice do not work on Command or Option keys. Bluetooth has not loaded. Always keep a wired set on hand.

OP
C
Reaction score
yeah I've got a MPB using the keyboard, magic trackpad & Thunderbolt display on the desk-- I realized what was wrong when I just disconnected from the peripherals and tried...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.