how to totally Clear History?

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here, and am just switching to Mac. After logging out to my email account, and cleared history by using the History tab. However, when I moved the page back by using two-finger swipe to the left, my previous pages of my Inbox and my emails still showed for about two seconds. Is there any way to really clear the history, so no one can see anything by using the using the finger-gestures? I do not want someone (just in case) who happens to use my Mac after me to see those pages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Back 2 basics ..... don't let anyone else use your computer.
If you really have no other choice, create separate user accounts that are not admins.

Cheers ... McBie

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Which browser is this? Once you've cleared the history, you HAVE to close the application, otherwise the back button (the two finger swipe) will show you the previous cached history.

OP
P
Reaction score
it's Safari. Is Command+Q to close good enough?
I noticed that this morning after turning on my Mac, Firefox and Safari both opened by themselves. I did used both last night before shutting Mac down. Is that normal that they open automatically?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OK, so be sure to close out Safari when you're done with what you were doing so that nothing is cached..

The other thing you can do is enable Private Browsing while visiting sensitive sites and then closing that particular tab should essentially clean our the history..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Pookie, I've done the same thing. But like stated, once you close your browser, which ever one you use, the history is gone. If you feel it's not, close it, then open it again. You'll see the history is cleared.

C

chas_m

it's Safari. Is Command+Q to close good enough?

Yes.

I noticed that this morning after turning on my Mac, Firefox and Safari both opened by themselves. I did used both last night before shutting Mac down. Is that normal that they open automatically?

This indicates that you closed them but did not QUIT them before shutting down the Mac. As you shut down, you'll see a little checkbox that says "reopen windows" etc. that is checked (you can uncheck it, but that's not the real issue here).

When checked, any applications you left running when you shut down will reopen to the last place they were left when the shutdown occurred.

This can be handy for people who are working on projects but if you don't want that to happen, the "best practice" is to actually quit all apps BEFORE shutting down. And of course this is the part where I point out that there's no need to actually shut down the Mac at all unless you're going to be away from it for a prolonged time. Putting it to sleep is fine, according to Apple (and faster to get going again, according to me). :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.