Macbook will turn on, but the screen is black

Reaction score
So last night when i tuned on my Mac the screen flickered and then went dark. Now I can still turn it on, but nothing shows up on the screen. When I hooked up the laptop to an external monitor, everything showed up and worked fine. So I guess I need a new screen. Any ideas on how much that would cost?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We really need to know the year and model of your MacBook or MacBook Pro before advising you. Also, because the screen went dark does not necessarily mean you need a new LCD. Depending on the model you have, it could be the backlight that failed or the inverter. Newer Mac portables do not use an inverter which is why we need to know the year and model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Try holding the display up to direct light and see if you can still see anything on the screen just barely (it's going to be really hard to see so look closely). If you can, then it's the backlight.

If your computer is really old then it might not even be worth buying a new screen. The screen on my old 2004 Dell laptop went out and a new screen was going to cost more than buying the same model laptop again off of eBay. The laptop was only worth about 60 bucks. Go figure.

Year and model laptop you have would indeed help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.