email disappearing on iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Air, OSX 10.7.3, 4GB Ram, 256GB. iPad 2 32GB 3G, iPhone 4 32GB
I think I know why I am seeing new email's disappear, but I'm not sure how to deal with it. I will see new emails show up on my iPhone 4 briefly then disappear from the inbox.

I have numerous folders and rules in Mail on my Macbook Air that move emails to a folder that applies to that sender. I find the email in its appropriate folder on my laptop, but can't see the email that has been moved to a folder on my iPhone nor my iPad.

Any thoughts short of deleting all of the folders?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are doing this (iOS and MBA) all through IMAP and folders on the server, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
What's your setup? You must be using IMAP on iOS, what are you using on the Air? Are your folders setup on the computer or on the mail server?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Air, OSX 10.7.3, 4GB Ram, 256GB. iPad 2 32GB 3G, iPhone 4 32GB
my folders are set up on my laptop not on a server. The folders do not appear on my iPhone, but the mail is set up to sync using iCloud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
my folders are set up on my laptop not on a server. The folders do not appear on my iPhone, but the mail is set up to sync using iCloud.

There's your problem. When the mail rule moves the email from your inbox to a folder on your Mac it removes it from the mail server. Recreate your mail folders in your iCloud account and move the mail messages to these folders, it uses more space on your mail server, but it also will allow you to access those sorted email messages from your iDevices.

Reaction score
Yahoo issue

Ok I understand what yall are talking about having it set up as an IMAP where any device removed the mail from the mail server then it isn't accessable to the other devices. My problem is my iphone 4S (just did this a min ago) said I had 4 emails. I open mail and I see 4 emails then 2 just disappear, the other two stay, sometimes it says I have one email then it disappears soon as I open mail (now you see it now you don't kinda thing). All 4 emails were from my yahoo account. If I go to yahoo the emails aren't there, not in trash or junk, they are just gone. The emails that aren't deleted I can see if I access yahoo.com, or they are on my iphone, and they are on my Imac. But the emails that vanish are lost. I have a vet send me a reminder about one of my animals and I have no clue which one because I only saw the email for 2 seconds.

All good magicians make what they disappear reappear, so can someone tell me how to teach my phone some magic so I can get my emails.

Reaction score
email disappearing on iPhone

Was this question ever answered? It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, the message is gone. Not in trash or anywhere. Does not download to macbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.