Long time listener first time caller.....

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need some help. I have a MacBook Pro Late 2011. I have a 500 GB hard drive and wanted to add a SSD in the place of my optical drive. I purchased a data doubler and a 128 GB Crucial SSD Drive. I have everything installed and formated, the only problem is this: I want to move only my apps and OS to the SSD along with my 64GB Parallels partition. Is there a simple way to do this and sorry if there is another thread about it, I read for about an hour and couldn't find anything. I know if I clone my hard drive and move it to the SSD but I have two problems: first off it wont fit and second off I don't want a bunch of files on the SSD that don't need to be there. I have been messing with this for three days now and I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks Guys and hope someone can help!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello everyone,

I need some help. I have a MacBook Pro Late 2011. I have a 500 GB hard drive and wanted to add a SSD in the place of my optical drive. I purchased a data doubler and a 128 GB Crucial SSD Drive. I have everything installed and formated, the only problem is this: I want to move only my apps and OS to the SSD along with my 64GB Parallels partition. Is there a simple way to do this and sorry if there is another thread about it, I read for about an hour and couldn't find anything. I know if I clone my hard drive and move it to the SSD but I have two problems: first off it wont fit and second off I don't want a bunch of files on the SSD that don't need to be there. I have been messing with this for three days now and I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks Guys and hope someone can help!

I can only tell you two things

1) A fresh install is reccommended over cloning
2) We have several guys with a lot of experience installing SSDs (but I'm not one of them) one f hem will probably drop in shortly

Welcome to the Forums BTW

OP
V
Reaction score
Happy to be here and thanks for the response. I am ok with reinstalling Lion but is there a way to do it without having to purchase the OS from the app store. My computer came with the OS preinstalled but as you know Apple does not include backup CDs any more. I think if I hold the option key and restart my computer it will let me erase the Hard Drive and reinstall Lion through the recovery but is there a way that I can select my SSD as my new primary HD. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure that i cover all my bases before i screw anything up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.