Screen goes blank!

Reaction score
Used never to happen, but suddenly (since upgrading to Mac OS X 10.7.3?), my MacBook Pro screen just blanks. Can't relate it to any particular software or action, computer is still running (i.e. keypad illuminated etc), but I can't re-activate the screen. Only solution seems to be to close down and re-boot, but it's getting to be a bore.. Any ideas?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
"Black Screen"

Hi guys, I am from South Africa where MacBook Pro support is very limited. I have a issue where my screen goes BLACK and I have to hard reboot. Here are details: MacBook Pro 15" i7 (mid-2010); Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b);NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB. I have been running Lion since it was released and only over the past month have I started getting a BLACK SCREEN. I am not using a external monitor, and it happens when on battery or AC, and no particular program being accessed - it can happen at any time. I have tried using gfxCardStatus, trying various preferences - the problem however still persists. Last year there were a number of problems reported, and all pointed to the GPU, hence me trying gfxCardStatus. I feel so helpless and don't know who to ask for assistance.
I have tried all the disk utilities, just in case it was disk related.

Thanks
Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
Just a wild ques .
How old are the MacBook Pro's ?
If I am correct the do have a FAN .
If so it takes air are from outside the cabin .
So after a long time it get dusty inside and the temp rising .
It might be use full to clean it inside .
Apple's retailer can you advice about that .

Reaction score
Black Screen

Hi guys, my problem carries on. I will take MacBook Pro to Service Center next week to have it cleaned, in case this is the problem (overheating). I have also received this reply from a very knowledgeable person on Apple:

The black screen issue is pretty widespread. If I remember correctly, it usually happens when you're using the discrete GPU, so if you can stay on integrated as much as possible, that will probably help your cause.

gfxCardStatus' three modes are like this:

- Integrated Only forces the use of the integrated GPU, which is less powerful, and uses less battery power.
- Discrete Only forces the use of the discrete GPU, which is more powerful, and uses more battery power.
- Dynamic Switching is the built-in automatic graphics switching feature that OS X comes with. OS X "intelligently" switches between your two GPUs depending on what kind of applications you're running.

I have lots of friends at Apple (worked there in the past, and working there again this summer), and they're working diligently on the issue. Issues like this are extremely difficult to reproduce and can be difficult to fix, because it's a pretty low-level, complicated thing. Make sure you've got all of the latest updates from Software Update (especially firmware updates).

I will advise on further updates. Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
what is a "COMBO UPDATE"?!
It will essentially reinstall most system used files. A normal update just contains what comes in the update, thus potentially missing corrupted files etc. You will see the difference in the file size of the two forms of updates.

Reaction score
I took my MacBook 15" Pro to our local Apple Agent two weeks ago. They carried out a diagnostic check and the problem was with the Logic Board. They ordered a new Logic Board from overseas and replaced it yesterday for me. This was all done under guarantee!! So far I have not had a black screen again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.