OSX on imac 500 ?

W

wabkia

i just got an old imac 500 and was wondering if i can upgrade to OSX. its just gonna be doing some PS and folding@home and maby a little video rendering.
thanks

OP
J

jy106

I think 128mb is the minimum amount of ram for OSX. I have an iMac G3 with OSX installed, it worked for a while but now it doesn't boot!

OP
W

wabkia

well i have a ton of pc133 and pc100 lying around so ram realy isnt an issue. im realy worried about how it will run. but reading other threads it seems like it wont be a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Just fill it to the max with RAM and it will run OS X without any problems whatsoever.
A word of caution though, make sure you update the firmware before you go to OS X or you could do some serious damage to your machine.

Hope this helps
Paul

OP
J

JSchultz

128 mb of ram was the minimum for panther, 256 is the new minimum for Tiger.

FWIW, I'm running a 400 mhz G4 TiBook on Tiger, and I can do most of my tasks with no problems. Solid performer still. Not sure how well you'll fare in PS, but it's worth a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini intel 1.5GHz core solo 2GB, iMac 24" intel 2.8 GHz core 2 duo 4GB
i have a 6oo imac running 10.3.9. always works great:)

OP
W

wabkia

looking at how to upgrade ram on my mac. i see that it takes notebook ram and not regular pc100 sdram ? am i looking in the wrong place ?

nope, just checked the apple website and it turns out i have a 333mhz g3. oh well.

OP
B

Badger

The 333 mhz iMac will run OS X - up to Panther - without problems. Check www.lowendmac.com. The section on the 333mhz model (also called the revision D) has all the info you'll need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.