Backlight issue

Reaction score
Basically my late 2008 macbook's back light is playing up.

On opening the lid the backlight is on, but then switches to over when the lid is about an inch open. If you open the lid very slowly you can get it about a third of the way open before again the back light goes.

Using a bright light you can see the screen and what's on it, it works perfectly with a external monitor, but this is a bummer as i can't lug a screen around uni as well.

It has has its inverter and inverter cable replaced, so this is not the issues, but using my limited mac knowledge i believe it could be a dodgy or worn cable issues.

Any help would be great as being a student I have no funds to replace it or a full screen replace..

Video of my mac is at....
VIDEO0026.3gp - YouTube

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Sounds like a hardware fault to me. How long ago did you buy the Mac? If it is under a year, you can take it back to Apple to be repaired for free; if not, however, you might be looking at a hefty bill.

Also, just because the inverter has been replaced doesn't mean thats not the issue -it could have been a bodge job or something similar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
It sounds like a cable may be loose. Take it to apple store and see what they are willing to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.