Dented new mbpro due to defective bag

Reaction score
Hi all.

I purchased a new macbook pro in february. A few days ago I put the mac in my swissgear bag that I purchased a few years ago and the buckle strap snapped and caused the bag to hit the floor. Unfortunately the bag hit on the side causing a dent into the mac.

I took it to apple and they quoted me $500 to fix it. I contacted the makers of the swissgear bag and told them that due to that buckle snapping my laptop suffered a pretty bad dent. They apologized and offered me a new bag.

I'm asking to see if anyone can give me any ideas of what my options are here. Here are the pics of the damage..

IMG_4590.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg

the broken buckle..

2012-03-29_225301.jpg

2012-03-29_225226.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm asking to see if anyone can give me any ideas of what my options are here. Here are the pics of the damage..

You have three options:

1. Let Apple repair it. Undoubtedly it means they'll replace the case which is why they quoted you $500.

2. Live with it. Face it, you can't repair that case without replacing it. Even if you could completely disassemble the machine and remove the case, it's unlikely that kind of dent can be pushed out.

3. Sell the machine as is and use the money to buy a new one.

OP
M
Reaction score
You have three options:

1. Let Apple repair it. Undoubtedly it means they'll replace the case which is why they quoted you $500.

2. Live with it. Face it, you can't repair that case without replacing it. Even if you could completely disassemble the machine and remove the case, it's unlikely that kind of dent can be pushed out.

3. Sell the machine as is and use the money to buy a new one.

thanks for the reply.

option 1 they'll replace the bottom case and led display. According to them the led housing is 1 piece so they'll have to replace the entire display eventho it's good.

Option 2- ifixit has the parts and instructions to replace the case but it's a scary looking process. + I would obviously lose my applecare.

option 3- what do you think it's worth? Everything else works as new other than the dent.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is that a 13" MacBook Pro or 15" model? (I can't tell from the photo) Probably the best way to figure how much it's worth is get on eBay and look for a like machine that has slight exterior damage like yours. Either that, or go to Mac2Sell and compute a price. Deduct what you think for the dent.

A note about ifixit: Their instructions are some of the best I've ever seen. If you're handy and careful at the same time, there's no reason why you couldn't do the work yourself. As far as voiding your warranty, that will only occur if you mess something up. The dent is not covered anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.