Virtualization vs Remote desktop for analytics

Reaction score
I am a dedicated Mac user. However, I am also a data analyst. Sometimes the programs I need to run analysis only comes in a Windows version. I deal with stats, data mining, a little SQL type stuff. I even need the Windows Excel due to add-ins, etc. My data is rarely over 10GB. Most is far less than that.

Here is my question- I am better off running a virtualization side on my Mac (ie Parallels) or to buy a Windows desktop/server, load the Windows programs into it and then remote desktop in from my Mac. Thus I am running the analysis process on the Windows machine.

Upsides and downsides? Comments?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your usage almost certainly can be done through virtualization. Either Parallels, Fusion, or even the free VirtualBox should be able to run those programs you indicated. Unless you really want a Windows desktop server for other reasons, running virtual software should be fine.

Reaction score
+1 here for VMs. Virtual machines run the Office software perfectly well. You would only need native hardware access for applications requiring high end graphics support. Excel will run perfectly well in a VM.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.