I really messed something up...

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new here and a relative newbie in general. Here is my problem:

I have a desktop that is 3 years old, and almost full. I ran Disk Inventory X to try and find what needed to be deleted most. I have a TON of photos, and knew that was a huge area to be culled and deleted. But I also found a game my son downloaded called Battlefield 1942. I found the "area" on the Disk Inventory graphic, and began deleting from there.
Some of the files had the word "picasa.db3" in them, but because they also displayed that they were part (or so I thought?) of the game, I deleted them. I probably emptied the trash, too, but at this point I can't remember...because you probably know where I'm heading: A lot of my photos are gone. When I started Picasa up, it was blank! It did a search for photos, but only some of each album were "found". None of the albums I created (that contained edits, etc.) were restored. Whatever I found in the trash, I drug out into a folder on my desktop, but I don't know what to do with them.

Can anyone help me figure out:
1. If they are still on my computer "somewhere"
2. If so, how to find them
3. What to do with the picasa files I put in that desktop folder

I know when I had a dell, a tech advised me to do something that totally wiped my data...or so it seemed. A friend was able to "find" it elsewhere on the computer, and that's what I am hoping and praying is the case this time...

I backed up my computer to a goflex, but in trying to put it on my other desktop, it appears that perhaps they are not all "there", either! I'm putting everything on that Mac in hopes that they were somehow not in a photo file...we'll see.

ANY thoughts would be most appreciated. As I said, I am not the most mac-literate person, but I will answer any questions I can in order to help you help me...

Thank you so much,

Hisacorn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Stop using the computer! If the files have been deleted, the more you use the computer the more likely you are to overwrite the deleted files.

As for data recovery, I'll have to let someone else take that.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thank you, Stretch.
So do I need to turn the computer off, or just not use it?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Honestly, the best approach may be to pull the Hard Drive and do your disk recovery on it as an external drive.
If you are running Lion or Snow Leopard you can download Data Recovery Pro from the APP store, but as Stretch said, best to quit using altogether the drive you want to recover from, and the version of Data Recovery available from the APP store won't work on your boot drive.

There are other recovery programs out there, but in all cases you would be better running the recovery APP from a different drive than you are trying to recover lost files from.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thank you, Razormac.
Can you please explain how to pull the hard drive, etc.?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, Razormac.
Can you please explain how to pull the hard drive, etc.?

What model of Mac do you have?

As far as explaining, iFixit.com does a far better job than I ever could, and I will give you a link to the right pages. After you've looked at it I/we will be glad to answer questions

OP
H
Reaction score
It is a desktop from 2009, I believe the screen is 21".
The version is Mac OS X 10.5.8

Is that what you mean?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you have an iMac?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the Apple Menu>About This Mac

What model number is showing? A 2009 iMac could be 20 or 21.5 in

OP
H
Reaction score
iMac9,1
I googled it and it says it is a 20". We got it during the middle part of 2009.

OP
H
Reaction score
OMGEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Okay...I have a new macbook pro. Can i download the app you spoke of above and somehow run it for the iMac??? Without having to take that thing out???

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some other basic info I probably should have covered first.

1) Some or all of your data (photos) may not be recoverable, depending how what has been overwritten. Still, I have had reasonable success

2) You could pay someone to do it for you, but data recovery services aren't cheap

3) Best plan IMO is to pull your old HD and swap in a new drive for your iMac (good opportunity to increase your storage space). You'll do a format and OS install, then install your Data Recovery APP on your new HD.

4) Your old HD goes into an external drive case so you can access it for data recovery

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OMGEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Okay...I have a new macbook pro. Can i download the app you spoke of above and somehow run it for the iMac??? Without having to take that thing out???

I have never done it like that, but I suppose that if you boot into FireWire Target mode you may be able to do it that way.

Hopefully, some of our guys have tried that and will chime in with advice.

EDIT: another potential option that I haven't tried is to make a bootable clone on an external HD and run your recovery from that. I never done it that way so can't really advise. Understand why you would be reluctant to pull the drive.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help and suggestions...
I have turned off the iMac, and will wait until tomorrow to think more...my heart is broken and my mind is mush...photos are everything to me.

I have also been googling options, and Apple recommends something called Disk Warrior. I also requested a data recovery estimate from Drivesavers. But as you mentione, it is not cheap...

Again, thank you.

PS: Any suggestions for online data storage, such as Carbonite??? ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haven't used online Backup, I have several USB and FireWire external HDs that I backup to and switch out.

No idea which software is best. I use and have used this
Amazon.com: Data Rescue 3: Software

It seems to do a decent job with recovering photos.

EDIT: I have been reading the online manual for Data Rescue 3 just to make sure. I don't have the Bootable DVD (what is advertised in the link I gave you). I got my original copy of Data Rescue Pro with purchase of a SD Card Reader and have since purchased the APP store versions of the latest update, which works great, but as I mentioned before won't work on your boot drive.
The bootable DVD above, however, can be used without installing to your Mac (and risking more permanent data loss). You should, though, use an external HD for program workspace and file recovery (the Manual details this and I am posting link to an excerpt below).

http://www.prosofteng.com/docs/Data-Rescue-3-Users-Guide/pages/installing.htm

Reaction score
OMGEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you can use your MBP to recover your iMac hard drive. You will need a firewire cable to connect the two computers. Go ahead and download and install whichever data recovery application you decide on your MacBook Pro. (I personally recommend spending the money on Data Rescue III as opposd to any free/cheap applications out there.) Once that is complete, connect the iMac to your MBP with the firewire cable and start your iMac while holding down the "T" key. This will start the iMac in target disk mode - the entire computer will act as if it were a simple external disk drive. Then you can run the data recovery application, choosing the iMac's HD as the target volume and your MBP drive as the working volume - where the application will write the recovered files. You do NOT want to recover files to the same disk, as the recovered file could overwrite the deleted file and really mess things up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.