6 week old macbook failing HDD?

Reaction score
So I was bored and checking on my memory and ram usage today, I like to keep up with it to keep battery life as long as possible, when I noticed that the S.M.A.R.T. status of the Toshiba 750GB HDD disk is listed as failing!
I have not experienced any odd behavior, honestly the computer works flawlessly, just as the day I got it, so what would cause this to be listed as failing?
Is this something that I should take up with Apple etc? What confuses me is that it dosen't act odd at all, it only has 72 cycles on the battery.

Pics are screenshots from the system information page

ScreenShot2012-04-04at61429PM.png

ScreenShot2012-04-04at61418PM.png

ScreenShot2012-04-04at61539PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The S.M.A.R.T. status is an excellent indicator of a failing drive. Make a backup of your data as soon as you can; use Time Machine or cloning software. After doing that, make an appointment with your local Apple store genius bar and have the hard drive replaced. Your machine is still under warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
And yes, this can happen, especially with hard drives. Moving parts and all. We have received new computers that come in DOA due to hard drives, of course we go through hundreds of computers a year so a few DOA's are expected, though still frustrating. Back up the data, take it to the Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
the same thing happened to me and i ended up installing a SSD after 3 HD replacements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
the same thing happened to me and i ended up installing a SSD after 3 HD replacements.

keep in mind, SSD's fail too.

Back up your data. REGULARLY.

OP
R
Reaction score
Made a trip to the Apple store, new hard drive on the way. I can honestly say that I have never seen a company stand behind their products as well as Apple, most of them wouldn't want to replace it until the drive actually did fail.
Thanks guys!

OP
R
Reaction score
On a side note, is it sad that I can back up nearly all of my files to a single 16gb thumb drive? haha

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, not sad. It just tells us that you haven't had your machine long enough to fill up that hard drive yet. Buy a good external drive for future use with Time Machine. You're going to need it later on. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.