Recognising external drives with BootCamp

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just expanded my Bootcamp partition succesfully, however I can no longer view the PC side (NTFS formatted) of my external hard drive. I can now view the Mac side, but this is not very useful as all my data is on the PC side! I have checked the external drive, and on another PC, I can see the drives I would expect (i.e. only the PC side). My other hard drive (also split) is working fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am at a bit off a loss. Have tried rebooting Windows, reformatting the PC side of the hard drive all to no avail.

Cheers!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
External hard drives or partitions will not show up in Windows until they have been assigned a drive letter. What may have happened when you expanded the BC partition is that the drive letter assignment was removed.

Boot to Windows, open Disk Manager. (you have to use Disk Manager) Does Disk Manager see the attached NTFS formatted partition on the hard drive? If it does and no drive letter is assigned, go ahead and assign it one. That should allow it to appear in the File Explorer and My Computer.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks, that seemed to be the problem, so it's now fixed and Windows is recognising both sides of my external hard drive.

Thanks for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're welcome and enjoy Windows. Visit us often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.