iPhone 3G upgrade (yes upgrade) to 3.1.2 OS

Reaction score
I just dug out my old 3G iPhone which I bought in 2008 & used for about 10 months before chucking it in a draw & forgetting about it due to poor performance (the iPod would crash the system). I've just got it out & started to use it again. It's operating system was never upgraded from its original one. None of the Apps work anymore and it's coming up with a dialogue box stating that I need to upgrade to the 3.1.2 OS in order for any new Apps to work however I can't find ANYWHERE (not even Apple) which still has this OS. It has never been hacked/jailbreaked, it just needs to be upgraded to 3.1.2. Does anyone know where I could find this and know how I can install it?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
C

chas_m

Actually, you want 3.1.3, which is downloaded by you simply by synching the iPhone to iTunes. You'll get an alert.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Funny, now I can't find any Apps which work on the 3.1.2 OS. They all seem to need 4! lol. The iPod doesn't crash anymore though. Bonus! :)

Download links at bottom of this page:
Download the new iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware | Redmond Pie

To use that file, connect your iPhone by USB and in iTunes, hold down the OPTION key while pressing the RESTORE button. You can then browse for that ipsw file.

OP
G
Reaction score
No, syncing the iPhone 3.0.1OS to iTunes only offered the install of OS 4. After everything I've read about slow performance theres no way I'm going to do that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Funny, now I can't find any Apps which work on the 3.1.2 OS. They all seem to need 4! lol. The iPod doesn't crash anymore though. Bonus! :)

Yes, that's one of the biggest aggravations about the iOS ecosystem. You have to keep up and make backups because once the developers drop support for an older OS, you can't get an older version you can use.

No, syncing the iPhone 3.0.1OS to iTunes only offered the install of OS 4. After everything I've read about slow performance theres no way I'm going to do that!

Wise decision.

What does the 3.1.3 offer thats better than the 3.1.2?

Final tweaks, bug fixes, security patches. IIRC. At any rate, there's no reason to not go with that.
Download iPhone 3.1.3 Firmware | Redmond Pie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.