• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie but no iDVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Is there a difference?

I have iMovie and created a video from clips. I would like to create a DVD from this but don't know what the options are or how to do this.
I don't have iDVD as I keep getting an error message that I don't have the hardware (??). Does that mean I'm plum out of luck?
I do have an external DVD burner tho.
I was able to save it as a .dv (1.2 gig) is that the same thing and will that work if I burn it on to a DVD-R to play in my DVD player?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
iDVD doesn't recognize some external DVD burners.

Try getting Toast ($80) it burns to quite a few external DVD burners.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I don't have iDVD.... and was wondering if iDVD is a necessity in creating a playable DVD.

I already have toast... my question was...

Can I save my iMovie project as a .dv and burn it to a DVD-R that will be able to play in my DVD player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Oops. Misread the post.

Sorry, but given the new info (or old ;)), I can't help you out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.