Freeware for searching or indexing removable media?

Reaction score
I am looking for a free utility that allows me to search for files that have been saved on removable media. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I used to have a piece of freeware that would allow me to search for files that I had previously backed-up onto DVD. It would quickly let me know the name of the DVD that contained the file. Of course, I had to catalog all of the DVDs first, which was time consuming, but only had to be done once. The interface wasn't great and I suspect it might have been a simple GUI covering some basic UNIX commands, but it worked.

I have a newer Mac now (iMac with Intel i3 and OS 10.6) but I can't find that utility to re-download it. I also haven't been able to find anything like it that is free. I'd be very grateful for any help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"Find Any File" (donation ware) works well. Give it a try. Download LINK

OP
F
Reaction score
Find Any File does look like a good program, but it seems to only search mounted disks. Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm hoping to find something that can search off-line disks. I have 100+ DVDs that I'd like to be able to catalog and search off-line.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe it's me who is not understanding what you're trying to do? How can you search any external hard drive that's not mounted? Or for that matter a DVD that's not mounted?

OP
F
Reaction score
The software I used to have created a searchable catalog or database of all the files on a DVD and associated those files with the name of the DVD. All the DVDs have to have unique names and it takes a long time to create that database initially, but it makes it very easy to find a file when you don't know what disc it could be on.

For example, I could do a search for "logo" and it would return a list of files that had the word "logo" in the file name, along with the name of the disc they were saved on.

There are a number of commercial products that do this, but I hoped there might be a freeware version out there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I understand now what you're referring to. I had similar software loaded on my Windows machine that worked well - at least it did in XP.

I don't know of anything for free which can do what you're looking for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.