• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July

Reaction score
Rumor: Apple to release new iMacs with Core i5, i7 CPUs in June or July

Apple's all-in-one desktop, the iMac, will receive an update with Intel's next-generation Ivy Bridge CPUs in the June or July timeframe, according to a new rumor.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
The new iMacs will be the first Apple desktops to offer anti-reflective glass displays from G-Tech, a feature previously only available to its built-to-order notebooks.

Reaction score
Interesting comments, above.

The glass display has been an issue when attempting to utilize 'true' colours in Photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Bring em' on baby, these are the droids I've been looking for!

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The new iMacs will be the first Apple desktops to offer anti-reflective glass displays from G-Tech, a feature previously only available to its built-to-order notebooks.
Finally! There has been a large number of people who wanted this feature. Maybe it will eventually be an option for the iPhone. All the anti-reflective film sheets I've been using aren't has good as a real anti-reflective glass.

Reaction score

I could be wrong, but the anti-reflective Macbooks don't actually have a glass display, do they? From what I've read, they have a matte finish. If the finish on the new iMacs is actually anti-reflective glass, I'm assuming they will be different than the Macbooks. They will be interesting to see, regardless.

Reaction score
The macbook's anti-reflective display is essentially the regular display without the glass and it looks poor. If anything, I think that the Macbooks will have displays similar to the Air, no glass but it is not matte either.

Regarding the next generation of Intel processors, I am not looking forward to getting one. It is a first generation of a new architecture that was delayed 4 months. Though its smaller size reduces power consumption, the Tri-gate transistors create a lot more heat than the current Sandy Bridge. Probably not an issue with iMacs but it will be interesting to see what the new laptops are going to do to address the problem, especially with the whole "Ultrabook" fad going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3 2.4Ghz C2D 8GB Corsair X128 128GB SSD, iBook G4 1.2Ghz 1.25GB RAM
Slow product cycle?

Is it just me, or does this all seems like a product cycle slowdown at Apple?

We got the last iMac in June, usually Apple has a product cycle of under 1 year doesn't it? Ivy Bridge was out in April, but if true we won't see the iMac or MacBook Pro until June. It just seems like they are behind the curve here compared with the stellar releases in 2011.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Is it just me, or does this all seems like a product cycle slowdown at Apple?

We got the last iMac in June, usually Apple has a product cycle of under 1 year doesn't it? Ivy Bridge was out in April, but if true we won't see the iMac or MacBook Pro until June. It just seems like they are behind the curve here compared with the stellar releases in 2011.

Ivy Bridge just came out on 29 April. That might as well be May. One month between the technology being available and having it in a shipping product isn't bad for Apple, especially if the rumors about redesigning their product line are true (antiglare glass for the iMac, retina displays and new form factors for the MacBook Pros). Intel's schedule just happened to work out this way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
Ivy Bridge just came out on 29 April. That might as well be May. One month between the technology being available and having it in a shipping product isn't bad for Apple, especially if the rumors about redesigning their product line are true (antiglare glass for the iMac, retina displays and new form factors for the MacBook Pros). Intel's schedule just happened to work out this way.

I suspect the late arrival of Ivybridge and the lack of Xeons in ivybridge is the reason for the delay in a new Mac Pro.

Makes more sense to wait than to go sandybridge now.

Not sure when the Xeons may come along.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Put a retina display on this Imac and its a no-brainer purchase.

Yowza! Now THAT would be an expensive Mac. But it would also be oh - so gorgeous.

You wouldn't necessarily need the same resolution as the iPhone or iPad 3 for an iMac to be a retina display. People sit farther from iMacs than they do iPhones or iPads.

You could double the current resolution of the 27" iMacs to 5,120 x 2,880 and it would probably be considered a retina display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.