Problem with powerbook wireless -- ?

K

Koorong

I recently purchased a 12" powerbook, and have been working alongside my old dell laptop while moving files over. When I first started, both were getting the same, full signal from my wireless router upstairs; however, after a few days, my dell continues to receive the same excellent signal, but now my powerbook's signal has faded considerably. I have tried changing positions of the laptops, seeing if I had accidentally changed any settings on my powerbook, moved the powerbook up and next to the router (and the signal is fine, but otherwise nothing works), but still can't figure out why the sudden change in reception. Does anyone have any advice on how to further trouble shoot this problem? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
does the signal get stronger as you get closer to the router?

if it does then its normal as i find the PBs arent the best for picking up a signal, also uncheck the 'Interface Robustness' option and see if that helps

OP
K

Koorong

inflexion said:
does the signal get stronger as you get closer to the router?

if it does then its normal as i find the PBs arent the best for picking up a signal, also uncheck the 'Interface Robustness' option and see if that helps

The signal does get stronger as you get closer, however, not proportionally (i.e. you have to be quite close, and then there is a noticeable improvement in signal).

What exactly does the interface robustness option do?

I have also received feedback from others saying that similar problems have emerged after downloading and installing the latest airport update; this would be consistent in my case, as I did not install the updates until a few days after I received my powerbook, about the same time I started noticing a weaker signal... ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
im not sure what the interface robustness does myself but i know if my signal is getting weak and i turn it off it normally i get some signal back.

As for the airport update i cant really say as i havent noticed any difference since i installed it myself (when ever it was?) I dont know if you can remove the airport update to confirm this but im sure that someone will know for sure

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.