phpmyadmin mcrypt extension on Lion help

Reaction score
I am running Lion and trying to use phpmyadmin because I am starting to learn php and need a database to aid in my learning of mysql with php. I would prefer to not use MAMP or XAMP such that I am more in tune with how things work at a lower level rather than looking at a simple GUI which does everything for me. I've looked around for days and I constantly hit another rut in the road after solving one problem via the command line. If someone with some insight, or who has had the same problem could help me out it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Welcome to the wonderful and frustrating world of PHP and MySQL. ;)

You mention that you're having issues but aren't specific. What do you need help with?

OP
R
Reaction score
haha agreed...basically in reference to this walkthrough:

The mcrypt extension is missing | PHP OS X Lion How to Install mcrypt

I cannot seem to advance past the "Compile mcrypt php Extension" because after I run the "/usr/bin/phpize" command and get the same output as the tutorial, i cannot then run the following "./configure" command and get a result saying that there is no such file or directory.

PHP -v 5.3.8
Apache -v 2.2.21
MySQL -v 5.5.22

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
./configure will only work if your working directory contains the configure file - the "./" signifies the current directory. Make sure to change into the proper directory and try again.

OP
R
Reaction score
I tried switching directories but had no success. According to the command line output I'm missing "autoconf." The exact output is: "Cannot find autoconf. Please check your autoconf installation and the $PHP_AUTOCONF environment variable. Then, rerun this script."

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simply install autoconf and give it a try again. You can get a pre-built binary here.

OP
R
Reaction score
I was successful in grabbing my own version of the autoconf file and fixing everything, and wow that tookmore than 3 days to move a few files around all to get a local server running...I'd call that a bit too much frustration/work for something that should theoretically be quite simple. Just for fun I tried to do the same process on my win7 partition and had a quicker route to success which I hate to admit haha.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.