• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

SBC-Yahoo! DSL Service

D

damontgo

Does anyone here use, or have you used any of the Yahoo DSL services?? It looks like the apartment complex I'll be moving to in the next 6 months or so doesn't have the local cable internet company's services available, so I'd have to go through SBC. I've read that they have 3 packages now? My dad still has their 384 kbps, and his actual speed is usually in the 70-80 kbps range. Have any of you tried the 3 Mbps or 6 Mbps services? Were you satisfied? And what were your actual speeds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
My gf has SBC-Yahoo DSL in her condo. She has whatever the basic service is and regularly gets somewhere in the 300-400 kbps range.

When she wants serious internet speed, she comes to my place for that blazin' Comcast internet, tested at somewhere in the 7000 kbps range the last time I checked. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I have SBC DSL and I love it. I would not trade it for anything except maybe a T1 line. Just make sure all of your phones have the filters on them, and you will like it. Most of my friends have the local cable internet around here and everytime I use it, it's terrible. Seriously, SBC has good service.

I have their 1.5mb-3mb internet, and I usually get around 200-250kb/sec.

OP
S

sandals1621

I have their "pro" package and can get anywhere between 1.5mbps to 3.5 mbps D/L and from 400kbs to 800kbs upload

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
I really can't stand my SBC service, it clocks in at around 70 kbs usually.

OP
J

JSchultz

I'm on SBC Yahoo too, can't say I'm a huge fan. Nothing like my Ameritech (now Wide Open West in Chicagoland) Cable was.

I'm on a 768 down package, and I just tested my bandwidth and got 682 kbps. Meh.

OP
D

damontgo

That's kind of what I thought.... I'm sort of spoiled right now. I have my Indiana University dorm connection, and my g/f cable broadband.... which both clock in around 400-700 kbps actual speed. Everyone that I have known personally that had SBC clocked around 70. I guess I'm a little unsettled b/c they go through you rphone lines as well... I mean, how does SBC provide a speed of 700+ on the same line that a dial-up provider clock 56 on? I guess it just doesn't make sense to me since they are the same line... i dunno how they make the same line faster?

OP
J

JSchultz

When talking about actual speed from say, Limewire, I get maybe 45-60 kbps if I'm lucky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
i get about 120kkps on on the $30 a month package

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I have the pro SBC package.... It's decent... 250kb-300kb/sec download. It's not the Cox Cable I used to have... but it gets the job done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
At my gf's house right now. I just tested out at 1268 down/316 up for the basic SBC-Yahoo DSL service here in the Chicago suburbs.

OP
W

wonko_the_sane

I hate SBC. Its so slow for me... (don't know exact speed)
Nothing like my old Cable internet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.