Leopard Machine for App Development

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to get a second-hand Leopard Mac for App Development.

I have read that I will not be able to install the latest version of XCode on it - but as such I will be producing native apps so it won't affect me as such.

The question is, will I still be able to publish on the App Store and they get approved?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You will or will not be publishing native apps?

Either way, if you want to publish on the App Store, you'll need the latest version. Especially when SandBoxing becomes a requirement in a few months. Using an older version of Xcode means you won't have the newest APIs for development.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What kind of Mac is it? If it an Intel-based and at least Core2Duo, then you can upgrade to Lion and use the latest version of Xcode, otherwise you're going to have limitations as suggested by Stretch..

OP
S
Reaction score
HTML5 apps I meant ...

The following are the specs:

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Memory: 2 GB
Hard disk capacity: 111.46GB

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You won't use Xcode to make HTML5 webpages. For that, you'll need nothing more than an editor or web development package (like Dreamweaver) and a modern browser. The key here is the browser since you'll need that for testing. Firefox 11 will work on Leopard as will Chrome and Opera. The current version of Safari requires SL or greater however.

As a caution, those browsers will not support Leopard forever. In fact, I would guess that Leopard support may be dropped sooner rather than later. You might want to think of upgrading to Snow Leopard (this is as high as you can go).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.